mighty mouse no longer scrolls down....

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by superspud, Jan 17, 2008.

1. superspud macrumors regular

title pretty much sums it up... my mighty mouse will scroll every direction but down..

it no longer makes a "clicky" noise when i try scrolling down, its just a smooth spin, no notches...

i've had it about 2 months, can i take it back or do anything about it or am i screwed?

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Have you tried cleaning it? Also if that doesn't work apple will replace it

3. superspud thread starter macrumors regular

i bought it at best buy though.... can i just take it to an apple store and they will replace it no problem?

4. SmokyD macrumors regular

easy fix

I get this problem about every two months but it only takes about two minutes to fix.

Take a cotton swab or pad and dab it in rubbing alcohol (or peroxide) and stroke it across the click wheel 20 or 30 times in every which direction, pressing down on it to agitate any dirt inside. You'll probably see tiny bits of lint or gunk come up on the swab. It will at least remove the oils inside, which is what causes the problem.

Then take a clean cotton cloth and rub it over the click wheel a few times to get out any remaining stuff and to get it dry quickly.

That should do it nicely.

5. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Try cleaning it first. I really don't know about Best Buy..

6. superspud thread starter macrumors regular

aaaaaaand cancel the thread (seriously delete it if you need too)

batteries were just dying... wow im an idiot

on a happy note, i called my local apple store and they said just to bring it by and they would replace it.... thats TWICE now apple has come through when i needed them to, no questions asked (even though i dont need it this time)

goooooo apple! :apple:

7. Caris macrumors 6502a

Caris

8. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

It's always the easy things we forget to check. Oh well.;)

9. aschuett macrumors newbie

This sounds insane, but in the makeup area of your favorite local store, they sell Q-tips with pointy ends ("makeup applicators"). The pointy ends works great for digging into the scroll ball area, and working around keyboard keys.

10. bilbo--baggins macrumors 6502a

Having taken a Mighty Mouse apart to clean the rollers I can assure you that you're wasting you're time using a Q-tip.

Apple's advise is to turn the mouse upside down and rub it on a damp cloth. One step further is to use alcohol (I've used surgical spirit).

I wouldn't recommend taking the Mighty Mouse apart - you have to break the seals and glue it back together afterwards.

If you return it to the shop every time the scroll ball stopped working you would get through lots of them...

11. janitorC7 macrumors 6502a

janitorC7

I know you said that it is just the batteries.

but on a Note:

Keep your MM clean, otherwise it will stop working, and you will need a new one, just move the ball arround and blow in it, that usually does the trick.

Apple usually is really good at coming though and giving you a new one.

JC7

12. aschuett macrumors newbie

Hmm, I hadn't thought of just rubbing it upside down on a rag. I suppose if the rag were textured, the texture would get into the junction of the ball and plastic casing. While the Q-tip-like idea isn't going to get inside and clean the ball, it will get the ring of dirt that gets around where the ball and the plastic shell contact. It also works well on the gap between the casing and the side buttons.

Perhaps now I'll just use both the rag and the makeup applicator methods to get a really clean mouse.

13. janitorC7 macrumors 6502a

janitorC7

I have also head that some people take tape and string it though their mouse to get dirt out, I have not tried it however

JC7

14. ascender macrumors 68020

The other thing to try if you are having problems is to push down firmly on the scroll-ball and move it in all directions. Any small bits of dust or grit should then be worked out.

15. Phish311 macrumors regular

im having these same issues buy ive had my might mouse just under a year. If i clean it and it doesn't help, will apple still replace it?

16. cms2 macrumors 6502

cms2

Pushing down on the ball and moving it every direction... I feel like I have to do that every single day. I'm going to try to add some rubbing alcohol and cotton to the equation see if that doesn't do the job better. Good tips. This is one cantankerous mouse. I really kind of wish I hadn't paid so much for it and just gotten a 3d party one... but I had just bought a mac for the first time and I wanted everything to match. :rolleyes: On the other hand I love love love my apple keyboard, though I wish the bluetooth version would have had the number pad.

on a completely off topic note... I just noticed I'm no longer a macrumors "newbie." I wonder if I still have that new user smell...

17. errol macrumors 6502

errol

I had the same problem with my MM -- unable to scroll down. I took an alchohol swab and raped the ball around. It works now :) It just needed a cleaning.

18. macdave121 macrumors newbie

this seems to be the mighty mouses downfall. i've now ordered my 5 mouse in 15 months. tried cleaning it every way possible. i've found that never to work. even apple staff concede that its not a good product. i dont buy into this cleaning routine. even cheap mice dont break like this. dont get me wrong i love the mighty mouse - when it works. hope apple will replace it soon.

had to buy a Logitech Vx revolution in the end. probably going to sell my replacement mighty mouse on ebay.

19. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

My mouse just stopped scrolling too. This is the second time it happend. First time i cleaned it like it says to on apples website but now i tried it and it still ownt scroll down. :(

Do i just call apple and tellt hem the mice isnt working? And how does the whole exchange happen?

Edit:
    Ok so i got a bucket of rubbing alcohol and dunked the mouse in there. Let it dry and now its working perfectly :D

Im just kidding, i did the rubbing alcohol on Qtip thing a second time and it worked. Im still going to call apple tomarrow to replace it for me.