Mighty Mouse Not Scrolling Down

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by monke, May 25, 2007.

1. monke macrumors 65816

monke

I know this is going to sound strange, but my Mighty Mouse has been acting up recently. Put new batteries in it the other day, and now it won't scroll down a page. It will however, scroll up. :confused: Help?

2. eyebeaz macrumors 6502

There are several threads that deal with this problem. The scroll ball on the mighty mouse seems to be pretty problematic and this has happened to several people. It happends because of a build up and stuff inside the mouse which doesn't allow the scrolling to work properly. It is recommended to take a lint free cloth and try cleaning the ball.

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Trade mice with ghall and you'll each be able to scroll the other way.

I'm still having trouble with mine... sigh.

4. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

yup mine does that too sometimes. I got frustrated with it once and started scrolling very hard, and it came back :) It's worked several times.

5. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

When this happens to me I just blow into it really hard and then roll the ball around a few times. This fixes it. =]

6. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Ditto.

Very nearly a great mouse design... They just went a bit too far :eek:

7. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

Mine did the same thing, I took it in to the Apple Store, they sprayed a bit of iClear on a cloth held the mouse upside down and rolled the scroll ball around vigorously with the iclear covered cloth. Its worked perfectly ever since.

8. RupertJ macrumors newbie

Mine did this. After a while it stopped scrolling up too.

I tried loads of the solutions on the web (lint free cloth, upside-down z motion, clean with toothbrush, etc...).

The one that finally worked for me was this: Get the ball slightly damp, and move it around until the scrolling comes back. You'll probably notice the ball gets all the dirt that the water loosened from the rollers, so give it a good clean afterwards.

9. monke thread starter macrumors 65816

monke

This one worked. Thanks for the help. :)

10. eyebeaz macrumors 6502

Does anyone know if there is a safe way to take the the mouse apart to actually get in there and clean out all the dirt?

11. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Have a look at this.

12. bookofjames macrumors newbie

13. Oceansized macrumors member

I always just roll it loads onto a piece of paper.

14. speedfreek macrumors newbie

+1 for the fix as well

Blew hard a few times into it and gave it a vigorous rub in my hand for a few seconds and i can scroll down again.

It's almost like going back to the old school gaming with blowing into cartridges and maybe a bit of a tap on the hand a couple times to get the game to boot up properly lol

15. SomaVersTop macrumors newbie

Roller on Might Mouse Solution

I it's odd that the ball get's too sensitive that any dust, or oils from our fingers causes the Great Mighty Mouse to loose it's full potential.

A solution I have discovered... (It worked for me, and hope it does for you too).

Go to the copier. Grab a sheet of paper. Be sure it's clean (of course). Lay the clean paper down on a smooth & clean surface. Take your Might Mouse. Turn it upside down. Roll the Might Mouse on that sheet of paper in ever direction and you will see pieces if dirt, dust, crud w/c causes the ball to get stuck. Roll it around a few times until you feel that it's cleared up the gunk. Turn the Might Mouse back on and hope that it works. Again, this is just something I tried and WORKED really well for me.

Good luck guys!:)

16. Shownarou macrumors regular

You know, this is the exact same problem that blackberrys have.. I think Apple and RIM need to get together and work on a solution.

17. Myr macrumors newbie

Same problem has been happening to me, it's been bugging me for at least two weeks, if not more.

Push really hard (not too hard though :D) on the scroll ball, it should dislodge any dust/debris inside the mechanism. It worked for me!

18. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yeah I guess when you get that problem with not scrolling down, its due to the roller not making good contact with the ball.

They should have designed it using optical instead of mechanical rollers.

19. Dino1956 macrumors member

I've tried the Damp Lint Free Cloth & blowing Compressed air but the Clean Whit Sheet of Paper method works the best!

20. Sempronia macrumors newbie

White Paper Method works like a charm!

Thank you so much for this simple solution. I was going nuts with my mouse, and because I live in rural Ireland, I don't have access to an Apple store or IT cleaning products unless I make an overnight trip to Cork or Dublin.:D

21. Defining Beauty macrumors newbie

Genius!

I have registered just to tell you all that you are genius! The paper suggestion worked instantly on my mouse. THANKS!

L