mighty mouse not so mighty

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iaddict, Sep 16, 2009.

1. iaddict macrumors 6502

Okay, I've had issues with this before but now I can't seem to get the scroll button to work for any longer than 10 minutes or so. I have used clean cloth or mousepad to work button so that it works and used spray can air to clean out still...only works for a short time before it stops scrolling up or down. If anyone else has had this issue and solved it, can you let me know how to fix mine? I am feeling like this thing is a piece of junk right now.

thanks

2. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

Make sure your hands are clean while doing this. While rotating the small ball with your thumb, press the ball in with a good amount of pressure in all directions. You need to clear some dirt from the contacts. Good luck! :D

3. miki66 macrumors 6502

miki66

because of the same issue, i stopped using the mouse and bought a tablet...
    wish apple will come up with something new and more durable

4. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

As soon as I realized my mighty mouse (the wireless Bluetooth model, even) can't track quickly across the screen, I stopped using it. I should sell it on eBay - it was only used for maybe a day or two...

5. mickhyperion macrumors regular

mickhyperion

I've had good luck getting the ball working again by turning the mouse upside down and rubbing the ball fairly hard on a pad of paper for a few seconds. The dirt/oil absorption of the paper and the pressure seem to have a combined effect.

6. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

This has been posted a million times already. There's even several threads with the exact same title, like here :)

This is why I'm using a VX Revolution. Almost 3 years now, and zero complaints.

7. Ramashalanka macrumors regular

+1

I have two macs, each with a mighty mouse, and this works perfectly every time. Push the mouse onto the paper quite hard and move it a good distance up and down, left and right. It'll start to feel less sticky as you do it, and some minor dirt will appear on the paper. It really is a good mouse with this solution (though there must be a non-mechanical solution in the future). Don't bother with cloth or spray.

8. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Same!

Same, mine only scrolls up, and I'm pissed off with it! Why don't they have a bigger sturdier scroll wheel like windows instead of a piddily small as ball... >=(

9. Buzz Bumble Guest

Maybe you guys should simply wash your hands and clean your desks more often. ;)

My main client has about 8-10 Mighty Mice in daily use with none of these problems.

10. Ramashalanka macrumors regular

Have you tried giving it an upside-down scroll on paper? Only takes a second and works fine.

I don't think you have to keep it clean. I eat my lunch while using it, and get food on it. After the above procedure, it always works just fine.

11. Maim macrumors member

i found that the little ball wore down after a while so it couldnt get a good enough contact with the little rollers, even after paper rolling and taking it apart. i use a different mouse now though i do like the mighty when it works.

12. Ramashalanka macrumors regular

Interesting. After how long? Are you sure the "taking it apart" might not be part of the problem?

I guess I've only been using mine daily for a bit less than two years. I note they were released on 2 Aug 05, so some of them are quite old. My windows mice only last a few years anyway, I suppose.

13. Buzz Bumble Guest

Part of the problem could be that the desk level is too low. I know that I was virtually "eating" through Apple ADB mice with my beige G3 PowerMac because the desk was too low and meant I was pressing too hard on the button. I went through around six in a few years. No I use the mouse (with a dying button) just for movement and a Gravis Gamepad in the other hand for the button. :)

14. crazyglue1971 macrumors newbie

clean the ball

i have a wireless mighty mouse and after 2 months of use the ball stopped tracking. called apple they said to take a damp cloth and clean it. well that fixed it for about an hour.

i decided to take it apart look on youtube.com there are several videos that show you how to do it.

i take it apart at least once a week now to clean it lol

15. Peruvian macrumors regular

Peruvian

I have ICLEAN which I always use to clean my white macbook.. the ball on my MM stop scrolling up, so I sprayed the ICLEAN a few times on the ball and let it seep into the gap around the ball, continually rolling the ball around slowly.. While doing this, I could see all the grime from under the ball coming out....
    Now my MM is working like new.....
    Try this... I got the Iclean from the Apple store... It comes with a microfiber cloth also.....