mighty mouse only scrolls one way

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by eaglegray, Dec 24, 2007.

1. eaglegray macrumors newbie

My Mighty Mouse (with the little scrolling ball on top) will only scroll down, not up! This is something that has just happened. I re-checked all the mouse preferences, everything is set properly. Any ideas?

2. Schnebar macrumors 6502

You need to clean it.
    There is probably dust under the sensor.

Search the forums or google and you will find a lot of posts about this.

It happens a lot.

3. eaglegray thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Schnebar, a quick google found the answer (such as it is). For others who may need the same help, there are some different techniques recommended on this forum: http://weblog.mrbill.net/archives/2005/11/24/apple-mighty-mouse-repair-a-success/
    Some rub in a drop of methylated spirits right on the ball and rub it around, but the way recommended by Apple seems to be just to turn the mouse upside down onto the palm of your hand and rub back and forth like hell. The latter technique worked for me, though it seems to me like bad engineering (unlike Apple?!) that there is no easy (or recommended) way to open up the case and clean the components properly. Some say they have done just that, but then had to crazy glue the case back together. C'mon Apple. I thought when I moved to the optical mouse, from the old Big Ball style that it would be ZERO maintenance. I guess nothing is zero maintenance, except a corpse.

Cheers...

4. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

This is the flaw with the magic balls on tech...same thing happens with a BlackBerry Pearl. I believe I've read that Apple WILL NOT replace them, so just try your best to figure out a way to get the dust out between the sensor and the ball. Usually the technique of putting it upside down and shaking it out works temporarily but has never proven to be a very long solution for me.

5. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I've read stories where Apple has replaced them in some instances. But the Mighty Mouse is a perfect example of form over function.

6. IMcD23 macrumors regular

IMcD23

Iowa, United States, Earth, Milky Way, . . .
    yes same thing has happened to my own mighty mouse, but i cleaned it and it works now, but i got a new logitech mouse, i like it much better than a mighty mouse

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

turn it off if its wireless or unplug it if its wired. turn it upside down and rub the scrollball in a 360 motion for a little bit. youll notice all the muck, dried oil from your fingers will come out and show on the paper. i did this a month ago when i couldnt scroll up and its been fine since.

8. finnschi macrumors 6502

Worked for me :D Thx

9. Master-D macrumors member

Yes worked for me. Quick fix, thanks. Probably better than my instinctive solution of banging the mouse on the table :cool:

10. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

Hello

The best bet is to have VERY CLEAN FINGERS when Mighty Mousing.

No cookie or potato chip crumbs on fingers makes for a Happy Mouse.

I'm thinking of starting a fad diet: The Might Mouse Diet!
    Just buy an Apple computer and surf the net all day without eating anything so as to avoid fouling the mouse. :D

It's a shame that MM is so sensitive to dirt. It's my favorite mouse otherwise.

The upside-down workout seems to work OK over here too.

Have Fun,
    Keri

PS. When other people see you frantically rubbing an upside-down mouse, just tell them that it's itchy and needs a back massage. :p

11. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

The problem is the mechanical rollers that the mouse has gets gunk and stuff on it and it looses contact with the ball.