Mighty Mouse, or something else...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rsm5068, Feb 1, 2008.

1. rsm5068 macrumors regular

Is the mighty mouse the way to go, or is there a better product on the market?

2. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

I'd say do your research - it's good that you're asking, because I bought the MM just because it's Apple, and I regret it a teensy bit. It's good, but not the best.

In other news, in regards to your sig...MBA or MBP? No contest - they don't even compare. PLEASE choose the MBP! :eek:

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Some love the MM, others hate it. I'm from the 'love it' camp. I'd suggest trying one if you can - they do take a bit of getting used to, though.

4. XianPalin macrumors 6502

XianPalin

I always had a hard time getting right click to actually right click.. seems like I had to take my hand completely off the mouse, and then tap on the right side with one finger. I just use Logitech mice these days.

5. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

i like my Mighty Mouse, but theres something about the design that bothers me, always feels like im dragging my fingers, the idea an concept is great, its sleek which is nice an di love teh 360 degree scrolling.

i also really love the Kensington Expert Mouse, a four button black trackball mouse. and you can hold shift+use the scroll wheel to do 360 degree scrolling too in OSX, which is another huge plus!

http://us.kensington.com/html/2200.html

but yeah findone that works best for you

i like my two Mice, i just wish the MM had a better DPI.

:apple:

6. yoppie macrumors 6502a

I have been back and forth on this issue many times. I would really love to have the Mighty Mouse to match my Apple keyboard but I'm not sure I can give up my two Logitechs. I have the VX Nano and a regular optical - they're both great and get the job done. I don't have a good reason other than matching peripherals for needing/wanting the Mighty Mouse.

If you can, you should try one out before you buy.

7. rsm5068 thread starter macrumors regular

But I can't stand the keys on the current MBP. We'll see after the updates.

For everyone: I ask because I have used the MM, but don't really like the price tag. I was just wondering if there was anything else that had the same functionality for cheaper.

8. ikm19 macrumors 6502

ikm19

If you could wait .. wait for new logitech nano mx bluetooth mouse. which will be launch may in this feb i have a mighty mouse and also logitech mx nano with mini usb receiver. i would defiantly vote for nano ratter than mighty mouse. the mighty is worth nothing. its just wasting money... i would buy logitech nano bluetooth mouse as soon as it comes out......

No offense for the mighty mouse.. but the reason i hate is it just few months old and its started giving me scroll problem... ya this is a replacement for another mighty mouse...

9. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

I have to say I really, really dislike the Mighty Mouse. I kept hitting the side buttons so I had to disable them, which reduced the functionality. So I bought a Microsoft 6000 Laser Mouse and am very, very happy.

10. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I grew to adore my MM, and now other mice seem a bit rubbish. The scroll, while prone to clogging, is the best of any mouse I have used.

I've used a few MM that have had very easy-to-trigger side buttons... that's not the norm, though.

That said, I think it's time Apple redesigned their mouse.

11. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I debated over the MM or Logitech. After a few days I went with the MM and so far it's fine. I don't have issues hitting the side buttons at all, actually I don't even use them. I just wanted a two button mouse with a scroll feature. Not only that, but it's bluetooth so I don't need to use up a USB port.

I did want to try out the Revolution and Nano, but the fact that I'd lose a USB port AND had to have a thing stick out of my laptop all the time was a major deterrent.

Personally, I like things simple and I didn't want to get a mouse with a ton of buttons.

12. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

Logitech MX Revolution - especially since a Bluetooth version hit the FCC recently.

I used the Mighty Mouse that came with my iMac for about 3 months. While it's not the worst mouse I've used, it's certainly not the best. I had to send off for a replacement within a month since the scroll ball got jammed up and the replacement has a broken scroll ball. The buttons on the side are quite easy to press accidentally and it gets dirty FAST since it's made out of plastic... and the right click/primary click system is easy to go wrong since it's touch sensitive.

I recently bought a Logitech MX Revolution from Amazon (it was cheaper) and I loved it... but unfortunately it was a faulty model. (My friend bought one from the same company that was selling through Amazon and his broke, too)
    Really, I would buy that mouse if you're going to buy any - especially with the Bluetooth version on the horizon.

If Amazon gives me a refund (Which I hope it will do), I am certainly buying that one over the RF one. Works amazingly well with Leopard (Since you have spaces to control, too! :D) and you can assign the buttons to do different things in different applications - which is great! (like, I set the buttons on the side to change between the Arrow tool and brush tool in Photoshop, and set the "search" tool (Although I used it primarily for Dashboard) to capture a frame in iStopmotion). So yeah, great mouse! If you're going to buy any mouse buy the MX Revolution - especially since it's rechargeable and not battery (thus you help save the environment and save yourself some money in the long run).

That said, the MightyMouse is the best Throw-in mouse I've ever seen, but it's definitely not worth the money, effort and frustration to buy it separately.

13. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Yep - I know other people who feel the same way.

Personally I dislike MS mice about as much as you dislike the Mighty Mouse. My second choice would be Logitech (I was a long-time Logitech user before I bought my MM), but it just goes to show what a personal thing mouse choice can be :)

14. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

I'm from the "so much hatred it's scary" camp, mainly because I've used a Logitech MX 518 for so long that I don't know how to deal with the ergonomic nightmare that is the Mighty mouse.

Basically, go with any any of the superior mice from Logitech or Microsoft, and you will save money.

15. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

I love my wireless mighty mouse...however i would love a mx revolution.
    i sortof miss right click as well

16. treehorn macrumors 6502

treehorn

So THAT'S why I hate the MM so much. Whenever I go to a client's place to do some editing on her project, I curse myself whenever I forget to bring my own mouse (also a Microsoft, he says guiltily). It keeps enabling Dashboard and I could never figure out what I was doing to cause it...

I'm getting one with my MacPro and promptly tossing it (or storing it somewhere if/when I ever sell the computer). Almost as bad as that hockey puck mouse Apple came up with a few years back...

Oops! I lied. I actually have a Logitech (so now I don't feel guilty)

17. pointycollars macrumors regular

I'd go with a logitech mouse, definitely. The mighty mouse just doesn't cut it for me. The right click doesn't work as well as an actual right mouse button, but the real annoyance is working with the little rubber ball instead of a real scroll wheel. You can't use it as an additional button as easily as you could use a real scroll wheel, because it's so small. If you try to press it, sometimes you end up pressing the mouse button instead. This might not mean anything if you never use applications that require it, but if you use something like Maya where there is real GUI functionality tied to it, it's a pain to work with.

18. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

The MM and Logitech both have their pros and cons. What I suggest is go to Best Buy or someplace and get both. Use them for a week - keep them in good condition - then return the one you don't want. You can return mice without a restocking fee, etc. I ended up with the MM and I like it even though it doesn't fit my hand perfectly.

19. roisin and mac macrumors 6502

I've an idea for you, it's what I'll be doing :)

I have a Logitech mouse, of the sort meant for gamers even though I am not one, which I picked because it fit my hand perfectly and allows my it to rest completely on the mouse, from the heel to the fingers (my hands are pretty long :))--this is just the right size and curvature for my hand to rest on naturally, and allows me to reduce the number and scope of the movements my wrist has to make. I bought it to go with my Windows laptop, and decided to keep it when I got my lovely Macbook two months ago for the sheer ease of fit (I had given myself RSI, carrying bags of groceries home if you can believe it, and using the proper mouse kept me from straining my wrist even more lol)

But it is kind of ugly, and hogs one of my two USB ports since it's wired. Plus, I hate having to drag the bulky thing along when I take my Macbook to a cafe or somewhere to sit and work (can't go mouseless I'm afraid). So as a treat, once I've finished a big, boring clearing out job I'm doing now, I'm going to get myself a wireless Mighty Mouse, to use when away from home and when I want to have both USB ports free, and keep the Hog for good ergonomics ;).

But I can do that as it's only an extra luxury sort of thing--a reward. If this is going to be your only, or main, mouse, I think it could be wise to make getting something that's right for your hand your main priority :)

20. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

I love my mighty mouse, but the only reason I got it was because of the blue tooth. I know there are others that are bluetooth, but this one works perfectly with my MBP.
    Having said that, there are some things that apple needs to fix with the reliability of the MM, like the scroll ball messing up, and the right click doesnt always work properly.