Mighty Mouse Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jbracco, Aug 21, 2009.

1. jbracco macrumors member

So my mighty mouse will scroll up but not down. Is there anything that I can do to fix this problem?

2. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

Is the physical scroll ball on the mouse OK or does it need some cleaning? If it does, you can Google for tips. Apple says
    Others suggest moving the ball and spraying with canned air or rubbing alcohol instead of water (which may be good since it will evaporate faster).

3. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Don't give up on your MM. They do take some serious cleaning when they stop scrolling but if you follow Apples instructions and really spend time doing it you can bring back even the most knackered of MM. I had one that I thought I had damaged beyond repair by getting frustrated and pressing REALLY hard on the ball. It wouldnt scroll for months and I eventually got to the point where I spent about half an hour with a damp cloth just fiddling with the scroll ball until it eventually cleared.

It clogs up easy but it is always fixable, it just takes time. When using your mous if you feel your fingers getting sweaty, dirty etc go wash and dry them. Your mouse will thank you for it! :)

4. iphonesrq macrumors 6502

do the cleaning that the others told you about....or next time ur going to an apple store make a genius apt & have them clean it. If they can't get it to work properly they will replace it

5. gethyphyyo macrumors regular

Exchange the mouse if it's under warranty and sell it on craigslist.

It is the the worst mouse I have ever had. Mines lasted a sad 4 months until it stopped working.

I just bought a new MacBook Pro and ordered the Belkin bluetooth comfort mouse. It looks really hott and i'm sure won't clog up with dust/lint as quickly.

Apple needs to redesign the mighty mouse so when and if the user needs to clean the track ball they don't have to take 354365 things off to get to the track ball.

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

My scroll ball never got stuck, 1 year and counting. There was so oil/dirt on the shell, but a quick tissue wipe and it's clean. Trying cleaning the scroll ball with a long-fibered cloth. Dampen the cloth and rub the scroll ball a few times.

^ In response to the above post ^
    If you think that good products don't need to be cleaned, try that with your car. Any tech product needs to be cleaned from time to time.

7. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

When you guys clean your scroll ball, do you hold it so that it wont rotate when you clean it or do u just let it roll as you rub it with a cloth?

8. gethyphyyo macrumors regular

True. but there are TONS of people who report the same issue with the track ball not working correctly. So for sure it is a design flaw/issue that Apple needs to address in order to get me to change my mind about the product.

9. adamk77 macrumors 6502

I've heard turning the mouse upside down and rubbing the little scrollies all over the place on a white piece of paper will fix the issue.

There are tons of videos on Youtube about fixing this. You may want to check it out. The white paper technique works the best.