Mighty Mouse problems

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kolax, Feb 4, 2008.

1. kolax macrumors G3

I've had my bluetooth Mighty Mouse for over a year, and never had any problems. I haven't used it for about 6 months, but recently since I have the wireless keyboard, I've decided to get the mouse out again for use when I'm at my desk.

However, it doesn't seem to be functioning correctly. If I press the button in the underneath of the mouse, the green light comes on, then goes off and my laptop cannot see the mouse. If I hold down the button, the laptop will find the mouse, connect to it and pair with it. Then, the connection is lost. I have put brand new batteries into it.

The mouse never works even for the fraction it is paired, once it is configured in the bluetooth preferences, it is gone and fails to work. I am however, missing the bit that clips on the bottom to seal the battery compartment, but that is not an issue since it doesn't hold the batteries in place or make any sort of contact with the buttons.

I'm a bit stumped, as I'd really like to use my mouse again!

P.S. I've tried restarting, so it isn't a wake from sleep issue, it just doesn't work full stop.

2. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

if your talking about the little bit of plastic that kinda secures the bottom plate on, i think it does need that, But i might be wrong,Can you fix it on Securly? Presuming your blurtooth is working ok :confused:
    if it's a worse case scenario and a new MM is required then you should be able to get one on ebay or similar i know I prefer to use the MM it's great, but would i want to pay for a new one? or Consider 3rd party............... :confused:

3. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

There is a bit of metal on the eye-slider on that bottom bit you are missing that tells the mouse whether or not it's 'on'.

4. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Ah bummer. I'll have to hunt around to find that.

What contact does the metal plate actually make? Is there anyway to get around that? I'm not sure if I'll be able to find the bottom bit or not. :(

5. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

I'll have to look more closely when I get home but when I close the door to the eye, the MM shuts off (green light does not turn on).. so it's apparently an on/off mechanism.

Well I take that back. There's no metal contact on the underside of the mouse aside from the battery contacts.

[​IMG]

The only thing I can think of without the mouse in my hand is when you flick the eye-cover back (to open), it the metal clip depresses that square below the eye in the picture linked above. Is that little square bit pushable? (Not the blue arrows)

6. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Thanks for the reply.

The square bit, just below the laser, is pushable. That's what I had to push in order for it to connect, so I assume that might get pressed whenever the bottom bit is put back on?

I'm sure the bottom bit doesn't touch that button though, because I remember being able to push it when the clip was on once upon a time.

7. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

I did a wee experiment and stuck blu-tac on the square button on the bottom that we were talking about.

It works now! So I guess the battery latch must push that button in or something.

[​IMG]

8. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Glad you got it fixed.

There is a 'tang' on the lid you are missing that depresses that button.