Mighty Mouse Randomly Stops Clicking?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by soccersquirt82, Jun 24, 2008.

1. soccersquirt82 macrumors 6502

I know lots of people have had scrolling issues with their Mighty Mouses. My problem is, it just stops clicking. It "moves" fine (moves the cursor around), the red light is on, everything seems to be working. I even unplug it and plug it back in. No clicking. Finally, I have to restart the computer (by holding down the power button on the back of the iMac) and then it will work again. Any ideas? It does this usually when I haven't used the mouse for about 30 minutes. Is it the mouse or the computer?

2. cmuench macrumors member

Is your computer under warranty or applecare? if so take it to the apple store.

3. soccersquirt82 thread starter macrumors 6502

I would try that, except before when I've had a problem come and go, they would have to see it not working for it to be serviced. Since this problem happens only once a day, the chances of getting it not to work is slim. It seems that my only option is to buy a new mouse. . .

4. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

I had that happen when I had my wired Mighty Mouse. Probably the worst mouse I have ever owned. I would randomly stop scrolling, and it would repeatedly click the side buttons at a high rate whenever I touched the mouse, and it would randomly stop clicking.

5. rick91307 macrumors newbie

The Solution...

Pressing alt 5 times (repeatedly) enables mousekeys, which lets you use the numpad to control the cursor.

I don't know why it happens in the first place, but it does it to me all the time. The 5 times on the alt/option key does the trick. You will hear a short sound from the computer to confirm the action.:cool: