Mighty Mouse - Scroll Ball

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sou1 so1di3r, Sep 24, 2008.

1. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

Ok. This thing WILL NOT work. It scrolls up, it scrolls left, it scrolls right, but it will NOT scroll down.

The only way it will go down is if I press really hard on it. It is really annoying me. I have only had this since July when I got my mac.

I have tried everything. Upside down cloth. Alcohol swabs. Rolling on paper.

Please help! This is annoying me so much.

Is it covered under Apple's Warranty if I bought the Protection Plan for my MacBook at the same time?:confused:

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

On the AppleCare site it says:

"An Apple mouse and keyboard when included with a covered computer (or purchased with Mac mini)"

It sounds like it's only covered when it's bundled, like with an iMac, not when you purchase it along with a new Mac, unless it's a Mac mini.

But give them a call or stop by the store if there's one nearby. It doesn't hurt to try.

If this was an issue since the beginning, I would suggest contacting Apple sooner in the future, since it may make exchanges or repairs easier.

3. g-boac macrumors 6502

Had the same problem with my Mighty Mouse, it was swapped out on the spot at the Apple Store. no problems with the new one, but it is only ~2 mos old now.

Defective mouse with ~6mos old, purchased at the same time as my MacBook. Even if it wasn't I suspect that they would have swapped it out for me.

Mark

4. sou1 so1di3r thread starter macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

Well there is no Apple store near me... but I guess I can give them a call. I am at school so it is hard deal with this here. I'm pretty sure apple doesn't ship to PO boxes either so I could never have them send me a new one.:(

5. jstanier macrumors regular

jstanier

I've had the exact same problem with two mice now. I think the problem lies with dirt getting stuck inside of it, and the cloth rubbing technique never worked for me.

With a lot of effort you can take the mouse apart, but I'd probably break it as I'm fairly clumsy.

6. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

I've had my mighty mouse replaced when it was still under warrenty with my iMac...that was in early '07. They took the old one from me and gave me a new one right on the spot.

I recently damaged my current one, trying to clean the ball. I pressed too hard rubbing it against white paper and the ball no longer clicks. Since I'm out of warranty, I have to buy a new one.

7. sou1 so1di3r thread starter macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

I'm gonna go ahead and call apple and see if I can get a new one shipped to me.

8. Wikinerd macrumors 6502

Have any of you tried the cloth method with alcohol?

I use those "moisturized tissues" and rub it (with the mouse upside down ofc) and it always worked. Until it gets clogged again.

9. sou1 so1di3r thread starter macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

I put alcohol on a q-tip and tried that and nothing.

10. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Save yourself the headaches, just get a third party mouse. Like, for instance, the VX Revolution. Far superior quality and usability.

11. Wikinerd macrumors 6502

You can always try sticking a needle in to clear the dust. Be careful not to break anything though. (And this voids the warranty... But Apple's not really helpful with the mice anyway.)

12. obdave macrumors member

My Mighty Mouse occasionally gets stuck where up, left, and right will work but not down. I have one of those cans of compressed air for cleaning cameras, and I've found that using the plastic straw to direct the air flow into the mighty mouse ball will dislodge whatever's getting stuck and the ball will work again.

13. sou1 so1di3r thread starter macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

Well I called Apple and they said they couldn't do much for me and that I should take it into an Apple store, and then I said the nearest Apple store is over 3 hours away and I am at school, then they are like, ok we are sending you a new one in the mail:D

14. Wikinerd macrumors 6502

Lucky for you. Anyways it's a design flaw that Apple has yet to admit (along with discoloring MB keyboards, cracking iPhones covers... etc). Maybe the next generation of the mighty mouse may have a small touch pad on top of the mouse for scrolling... it is a good idea though... I've seen other mice do it, but bidirectional only...

15. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Get a piece of plain paper. Turn the MM upside down and roll the ball vigorously on the paper several times. Turn the MM back over and you are good to go.
    Repeat as necessary. :)
    Morod

16. Takeo Rey macrumors newbie

I never realized at how much dirt can accumulate on a mouse until I got a mac and used the mighty mouse. The scroll ball did stop working for the other day and I just used a can of compressed air. A quick shot to the scroll ball cleared it out and everything returned to normal.

17. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

When my stops functioning correctly I push the scroll ball down hard and move it around some-- clears it up every time.

18. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Yeah I think that overtime dirt just naturally accumulates around the mechanisms underneath it and you can't get them out. I tried the suggested cleaning method on the Apple website plus trying to blow anything out with canned out with no success. It was such a shame as I really like the Mighty Mouse, but not enough to put up with so many problems or to pay so much for another one.

19. sou1 so1di3r thread starter macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

SO I just got an e-mail and apparently the mouse already arrived LOL

That was fast. I'm gonna go down to the mail room to check it out later.:D