Mighty Mouse scrollball

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Lexoticstylez02, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

My mighty mouse scrollball seems to not be working right.. the ball IS moving but isn't scrolling, is there a way I can fix this or should I take it to Apple for a replacement? I've heard this is caused by dust, dirt, etc. getting on it and clogging it, is this true?

Thanks.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

its jsut your natural skin oils drying up on the scroll sensor.

turn it off and scroll it up, down, then 360 degrees really fast on your pants or a piece of paper. dont worry this wont hurt it.

3. Lexoticstylez02 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

Haha, thanks. Seemed to actually work!

4. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

There is one way to damage the scroll ball. Take a sheet of paper. Put it on a wooden desk that is next to another desk with a groove on it. Roll hard and fast. Check out the new slices you put in the scroll ball. I need to get it replaced. I've been using it like this for more than half a year.

5. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

two methods ive found restore it to good new condition.

I like to use Lysol disinfecting wipes to saturate it and lay it on a hard surface turn the mouse scroll ball down facing the surface top/lysol wipe.
    do the 360 and then do slide it one way continuously then the other way, etc horizonally to the right repeatedly then to the left.

then you can use that same wipe, when its dried, to dry off the mouse and should work wonderfully.

the problem with the 360 method it just rotates all the particles around inside there. so it doesnt do an efficient job.

2) and another method i like, is using a typical Twist Tye flatten it out as much as you can place it in between the scrollball and the edge and work your way all the way around as it will unclog most of everything in there and pikc up stuff deep that cant be wiped out.

hope that helps

6. FlintAlt2 macrumors regular

:(.

I've been using my Mighty Mouse for a month now and I have had to repeatedly use the paper technique to clean the scroll ball almost every day. It got to a point where the scroll ball was getting black lines on it and drawing black lines on the paper.

The scroll ball button no longer register, at least not as a middle button. It registers it as a right click for some reason.

Now I cannot use Dashboard without clicking the keyboard shortcut and my scroll ball feels rough when I scroll. Makes noises as well :(.

Do not use the paper technique. Every time you do a Mighty Mouse dies inside :'(

7. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

I just made a service request on apple's website. This is the second time the mouse has totally died ( i have tried EVERTYHING). And I'm not planning on buying a mouse. Common Apple, if Dell can make a working mouse, why can't you? :p

8. applecupcakes macrumors member

applecupcakes

I am honestly not trying to be rude but if you're having to clean it out that often, perhaps you should wash your hands before using your mouse! Maybe you are just more oily than most, or something. :)

9. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

I do something similar, but I do it naked, and it involves cooking oil and a midget...

Just kidding...I don't know any midgets...

But what he said does work well...

10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

yea agreed with the guy(s) above. I take a q-tip and dampen the tip. then it's a frenzic rubbing process on the scroll ball. and a tissue to dry up all the water.

11. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I usually just moisten my fingers or put a drop of contact rewetting solution on the ball. Then about every six months, I use a pocket knife and scrape the residue off of the ball. And unless I'm mistaken, the ball is mechanical, and your skin oils cause the ball to just slide past the rollers instead of incrementing them.

My problem is usually that I can scroll up, but not down again.

TEG

12. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

I have the opposite problem, I can't get it up...ohhhh that didn't come out right did it????

13. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

yea.. that happened to me once.

14. FlintAlt2 macrumors regular

I wash my hands at regular intervals. I do have sweaty hands naturally. I also get a build up of dirt where the index finger and middle finger would sit on the mouse and I have to clean that a couple times a day. Honesty I have no idea because I do wash my hands several times a day and do not eat food at my computer or anything like that.

Unlucky I guess :(

15. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

It boils down to the Mighty Mouse being a poorly designed piece of crap.

I got so sick of constantly trying to keep my scroll ball clean that instead I replaced it with a Logitech MX Revolution mouse - which makes the Mighty Mouse feel like a Tinker Toy.

16. FlintAlt2 macrumors regular

Im thinking about getting that mouse.

The only problem is that Im the kind of person who likes things to match in style. The mighty mouse looks perfect with the 24" Alu iMac and alu keyboard :(.

The mx revolution would look out of place :(.

I am getting tired of the Mighty Mouse though. Side buttons take a lot of effort to effectively use. Right clicks do not work unless you lift your index finger. Scroll ball needed cleaning everyday until I destroyed it by vigorous cleaning on a paper. I also no longer have a middle button as when I press the scroll ball it registers it as a right click. :(

I really do want to like it!!

17. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

My warranty replacement mouse just arrived! Wow i ordered it around 6:30 pm yesterday and it just arrived now (10am). Seriously amazing!

18. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

I've had a BT Wireless MM, and have had no issues. Works well, even with 3 different people using it [Family].

I had the MX at my last job. What a total POS. I gave it back to IT, and bought my own MS Wireless USB for like $24/USD. It was 10x better than the sporadic Logicrap.

19. tiehen macrumors newbie

tiehen

20. dublinerma macrumors newbie

Simple, quick, effective way to clean mighty mouse ball..

Take a q-tip , dip one end in ladies liquid nail polish remover. Rub the ball vigorously with the moistened tip. Then use the dry end of the tip to dry the ball, again rubbing quite vigorously. Repeat if necessary. Your mighty mouse will be back up and fully functional! :)
    And yes - this is clearly a glaring design flaw from the folks at Apple.