Mighty Mouse still mighty crappy

Discussion in 'macOS' started by generationxwing, May 18, 2007.

1. generationxwing macrumors 6502

generationxwing

So I called Apple Support about my Mighty Mouse issues. They figured it was the mouse itself, so they sent me a new one. Plugged it in and....problems remain.

Basically, right clicking doesn't really work too well at all, it only works on the extreme right side above the side button. As for the side buttons, touching the mouse anywhere sets them off. So I'll rest my hand on the mouse, and expose or whatever is going nuts, with the speaker'd clicking sound.

The problem isn't the Mouse itself. I plugged it into 2 different PCs, and it worked normally. Right clicking was great, no clicking sounds just from touching the mouse. This is with the original mouse, and the replacement that Apple sent me.

Now what? The problem is either with my iMac, or OS X. I don't want to have to re-install the OS, but I mean, I want a mouse that works. Is there a way just to reinstall the mouse itself, or some utility? (And yes, I have the mouse set up fine in System Preferences)

Any help would be great! Thanks!

2. munckee macrumors 65816

I had many of the same problems. I eventually just turned off the side buttons. I don't know if this helps, but I've found the right click very sensitive to the left button...

IE, if your finger is still touching the left button when you try to right click, it won't register correctly. You really have to hit the buttons separately, one at a time. Dunno if that will help you or not.

I stopped using my MM at home, but I still have one at work that I use on a daily basis. Not thrilled about it.

3. generationxwing thread starter macrumors 6502

generationxwing

The whole mouse is crazy sensitive. Even JUST touching the right side, the right click just barely works above the right side button. And I mean just above it. When my hand is just resting on the mouse, it's making clicking sounds like crazy and if I have the buttons active, it makes the iMac unusable. This is with both the original mighty mouse, and the replacement Apple sent me. On two different PCs, the right click is fine, and no clicking sound just resting on the mouse.

Something's wrong with my iMac. I need to know if there's a way to reinstall MM drivers, or should I re-install the entire OS. Normal clicking works great, it's just a pain in the ass. I paid good money for this computer, I want it to work.

Attached Files:

4. Oats macrumors regular

throw MM away and buy a third party mouse. problem solved.

5. freebooter macrumors 65816

freebooter

my mighty mice (i have 2) are o.k. now that i'm careful to keep the ball clean--i use my ring finger to scroll when i'm eating/drinking at the computer. This has helped a lot. also, i've disable the side buttons...they drove me crazy in photoshop
    there are much better mice around....

6. generationxwing thread starter macrumors 6502

generationxwing

I paid for that mouse, I want it to work as advertised. It's not like it's not meeting my expectations. If that was the case, then sure, I'd go buy a better one. But the fact of the matter is, the Mighty Mouse itself isn't broken. It works fine. Just not on my iMac. Which means either OS X or my iMac is broken. Whichever is broken, I want fixed. I paid over $1300 for the thing when I could've bought some ****** ass Dell for $500 that works with the mouse.

7. generationxwing thread starter macrumors 6502

generationxwing

So, to everyone blaming the problem on the Mighty Mouse being crap, etc, I talked with Apple support and figured out what the problem is:

The iMac.

The only way the MM will work correctly is if I'm touching the metal base of the iMac at the same time. Grounding myself on other pieces of metal doesn't do anything. Not being on carpet doesn't do anything. Something's wrong with the iMac itself. The case has been referred to Apple engineers, I'll know next Friday what's going on.

In short, Mighty Mouse = good, iMac = flawed. Luckily Apple Support has been awesome to date, so I'm sure the situation will be resolved in a timely and excellent manner.

8. harinezumi macrumors member

my might mouse works fine.
    but the side buttons are pretty hard to press. am i just too weak??

9. generationxwing thread starter macrumors 6502

generationxwing

My Mighty Mouse is just fine too. Did you actually read the whole thread before posting?

10. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

Is this problem related to all iMacs? I've had my iMac G5 since July and the mighty mouse works fine. It doesn't seem to be too sensitive. Maybe I'm just gentle. :confused:

Just out of curiosity, why don't you turn off right click and manually use control+click? Or do you need the secondary click for gaming?

11. generationxwing thread starter macrumors 6502

generationxwing

I think it's a rare issue. The tech support guy I talked to had only seen it once before. I *could* ctrl click, but that's not what I paid for. I paid for a working computer, working keyboard and working mouse. I want them to work as advertised, end of story.

It's the principle of the thing.

12. generationxwing thread starter macrumors 6502

generationxwing

Annnnnd the verdict is:

Mighty Mouse = fine
    iMac = fine
    Guy who wired my electrical outlets when my house was built = dumbass.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So the ground prong of your outlets isn't truly isolated, I take it?

14. yagran macrumors 6502a

lol so all that talk of principle blah blah, it should work as advertised..i hope your planning an apology to apple hehe :cool:

15. generationxwing thread starter macrumors 6502

generationxwing

Those comments were directed at the idiots whose only response to the thread was "MM sucks...get a better one. blah blah blah."

I'm actually very happy that the iMac is in perfect working order. :)

16. generationxwing thread starter macrumors 6502

generationxwing

The hot and common wires might be reversed. The Apple dealer who looked at the iMac said they'd seen a similar issue in the past and that was it. I'll take a look tonight and see what the dilly is.