Mighty Mouse stopped scrolling after 2 weeks

btc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2006
is this common?

perhaps i should have stayed with my Logitech (now installed and working perfectly) or my MacAlly, also a fully working mouse, neither needing extra software..just plug and play.

when i installed the Mighty Mouse i just plugged it in and went to system preferences and the Mighty Mouse control panel was already there, i didn't have to install the mouse software that came with the mouse...and it worked perfectly for....2 weeks.

i reinstalled the software with the CD that came with the mouse and it's just the same, no scrolling.....any help with this?

TIA,

btc

kettle

macrumors 65816
Just enough pressure...

I found that applying nearly enough pressure as to activate the scroll wheel button and then scrolling in a circular motion helps to keep it clear. Definitely a problem with this design. At least with the pucks and before one could access the ball enclosure to clean the rollers.

It seems a lot of these fail within warranty. Anyone had joy in returning their Mighty Mouse?

btc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2006
Working Again

i took a piece of paper and just dampened it with a little isopropyl alcohol. i turned the mouse upside down (unplugged, of course) and moved it in a circular motion. i then ran it across a clean sheet of paper until i could not detect any alcohol.

now it is working again.

Thanks for the help

btc

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
I don't know what's up with the way people right-click or use the scroll ball, but the Mighty Mouse is pretty good. You just have to try one out and make sure that it actually works for you.

I wonder what the sensor actually detects though. When I press the right area of the mouse with something other than my finger, it doesn't detect anything. Maybe the sensor is heat sensitive or uses your finger as an electrical/magnetic conductor or something. It does work with a battery and a spoon though, so probably electrical ... weird.