Mighty Mouse... sucks!?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mancuso, Jan 6, 2009.

1. mancuso macrumors newbie

Hello

I've received a Mighty Mouse as a Christmas Gift and I must admit that I'm totally in love with it. It's nice, it's handsome and really comfortable to use. Though, as you might know a love affair always has complications and right now I'm actually on the brink of returning the mouse in favor of a MX Revolution.

I've been searching a bit around the interwebs to see if there's any solutions to the problems I have. I see other people having the same problems, but they all doesn't do much more than come to a conclusion on how much this mouse sucks.

So dear MacRumors community, does anyone know if there exists a solution to the following problems with the Mighty Mouse?

1. Rightclick can only be done on the far far right side of the mouse.
    2. Random loosing the ability to click and scroll, but can stille move the cusor around. Reconnecting the mouse helps, but..!
    3. Missing the ability to use "Button 4" as a forward, backwards button.

2. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

If you got these problems since Christmas - return the mouse. I have one and its fine and well over a year old. I do make sure my hands are clean because of the scroll wheel but otherwise - no probs.

Out of interest have you done the whole repair permissions, cron scripts etc bit lately?

What version of macosx are you using?

3. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

I've had my mighty mouse ever since they were released and haven't had the problems you are speaking of. I would return it for a replacement. It appears that you have a faulty one.

4. brentsg macrumors 68030

I would agree that right clicking takes some getting used to.

5. PirateBob macrumors newbie

PirateBob

the scroll wheel got so gunked up that it stopped working on mine. i really liked the mouse when it worked though. i have a logietech mouse now that i really like.

6. akm3 macrumors 68020

While I am a converted Apple fanboy, and I love how the mighty mouse LOOKS, I agree it's a terrible mouse. Microsoft wins that one.
    /edit: Although the multi touch trackpad on my laptop is amazing, so I'll give Apple the nod on that one :)

7. ray648 macrumors regular

I used to have that problem with the right button until I realised that if you lift your finger slightly off the left button before clicking the right one it works perfectly. Now I do this naturally even on other mice.

8. T10HJS macrumors member

yea that really works! i hadn't tried that before thanks! that was my only problem with the mighty always was clicking way to the right to get 2nd click other than that i love them i got three now :D

9. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

This is a complete nuisance. I'm not re-learning how to use a mouse just so I can use a dodgy, overpriced one.

Honestly, if another company had brought this out it would have flopped completely due to poor design. It's only still with us because Apple is bundling it with its computers, if they didn't do that then it would have died off a LONG time ago.

Return the mouse and get something better from Microsoft or Logitech.

10. T10HJS macrumors member

its really not that hard, I'm ust to it already after 10 minutes of knowing, really cant fault the mighty mouse i have never had any stupid connection problems like i did in the past with some other wireless ones. The battery is seeming to last forever and the range is amazing, also there is no conflict, like i said i have three and my brother has two there all paired up with no issues.

11. Reason077 macrumors 68000

Reason077

I'm not a big fan of mighty mouse. Yes, it looks cool and works pretty well for basic pointing and clicking, but the scroll wheel (and, to a lesser extent, the side buttons) are pretty abysmal. No matter what you do or how clean your hands are, the scroll wheel will eventually gum up and require cleaning.

Hopefully now that Apple have designed a nice new desktop keyboard, they can turn their attention to designing a better mouse.

12. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

I have been wanting a wireless Mighty Mouse for years. Finally i go to the Apple store today and buy one. (i've worked with a wired Mighty Mouse at the office and love them but the tech people don't seem to and they get replaced with a pc mouse of some sort)
    I set it up and so happy to feel that little ball. I love how it moves around at 360 degrees. BUT soon i realize it doesn't scroll to the left. It's broken. Actually when i was in the Apple store playing with the mouse at their stations, their mice weren't scrolling properly. I asked the rep about it and he said they get dirty in the ball and stop working. It will eventually happen. Although he likes them, the day will come when it won't work. My day was the first day i had it. So i'm sad to say that i have to return it and i'm discouraged now to get another one. I love the 360 ball and can't find anything else like it. :(

13. nissan.gtp macrumors 6502

I like the MM a lot, and love the scroll ball for horizontal scrolling (although I HATE track-balls with a passion). big problem is the ball getting gunked up. Bad design since it can't be taken apart and cleaned properly.

14. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

Quoted for truth.

15. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

I would advise you to just go into a Genius Bar and ask for a replacement.