Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Riviera122

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
Hi all,

I've recently got my 2007 iMac back and the Mighty Mouse makes an annoying noise as if it's constantly scrolling. The sound has been diagnosed as coming from the trackball. The trackball has never worked properly and wouldn't remind removing it. How would I go about doing this? Are there any other solutions which doesn't require such a destructive fix?

Thanks!

Riviera122

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
Exactly how old is this mouse? :)
I'd dare say it might not be worth it to diagnose the issue, just get another one.

However if you have the time and inclination, ifixit has a guide:
https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Apple_Mighty_Mouse

10 years next year. It's been working fine the past couple months but recently has just started making this noise. I think it's worth getting another one too :) thanks for your help.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
10 years next year. It's been working fine the past couple months but recently has just started making this noise. I think it's worth getting another one too :) thanks for your help.
Well, you can just clean the ball. Back when I had this mouse, I used to do it repeatedly. Otherwise it would stop scrolling altogether. But the trick is just to keep rolling the ball while holding a cleaning cloth against it.
I am pretty sure google will show you many DIY instructions for this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.