Mighty Mouse vs. Logitech VX Revolution

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by loudasthesun, Dec 26, 2007.

1. loudasthesun macrumors newbie

My old optical corded Logitech started crapping out on me... so I ordered a Logitech VX Revolution online (Staples had a really good deal and I got it for $30)
    http://reviews.cnet.com/mice/logitech-vx-revolution-cordless/4505-3148_7-32028065.html

I still haven't gotten the package yet... but I ended up getting an Apple Mighty Mouse for Christmas!

So... now I have 2 brand new unopened mice. Obviously I need to return one but I'm having trouble deciding which one. I see pros and cons to both, so I wanted to see what other people who have used both mice have to say.

Mighty Mouse:
    + Nice Apple design
    + Bluetooth (won't take up a USB port)
    + Has special features that work with OSX (not sure about this... I read something about it working with Dashboard and Expose?)
    - Bluetooth (sucks up battery life off my MB Pro faster)
    - Never really liked the feel of the Mighty Mouse shape in my hand

VX Revolution
    + Has a more contoured design
    + Read good things about the scroll wheel
    + Back/forward buttons look more like that I'm used to on my old Logitech
    - Takes up a USB port

The most common complaint I see on review sites about both mice is the comparatively high price. However I got the Logitech for $30 and the MM as a gift, so I seem to have gotten lucky with that :D

Anyone else have anything to add?

2. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

Logitech all the way. I've found the Mighty Mouse to be frustrating and awkward. I admit it's nice to look at but not worth using it. I would rather take 2 USB ports and use the Logitech than the Mighty Mouse.

3. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Logitech no contest. The Mighty Mouse is horrible and has no special functions that no other mouse has, it simply has extra buttons preprogrammed by OS X, you can very easily program the extra buttons on a logitech or any other mouse to do exactly the same stuff.

I also dont think it even looks that good, it looks and feels cheap in reality, unlike the fancy press shots. It also doesnt even have teflon feet, it has some abrasive cheap plastic which makes using it just that much more of a pain in the ass and collects dirt and gunk like a magnet. The Logitech however looks like a fine piece of equipment since its made of higher quality material.

4. astrostu macrumors 6502

One lack-of-feature on both that's not listed is that the scroll wheel/nub does NOT have a dual-purpose as a button, unlike other scroll wheels. I'll be going for the Logitech when new MPs come out, but this was something that I read that disappointed me.

5. fandsw macrumors regular

6. loudasthesun thread starter macrumors newbie

Nice to know, but my old MX310 had a scroll wheel that functioned as a button, and I don't think I've ever used it as a button except accidentally, haha. I don't think I'll be missing it anytime soon.

Out of curiosity, what do you assign the wheel button to?

7. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

I have to say the Logitech as well. I've had bad luck with the Mighty Mouse and I think that Logitech mouses/mice are made to be more durable and comfortable.

And I think my wheel button was automatically set to make it a scroll lock type thing, where if clicked, you could move the mouse around to scroll. It was nice for scrolling in directions other than just up and down.

8. astrostu macrumors 6502

I have an old Logitech 4-button mouse where the thumb button is click-hold, and the scroll wheel button I have double-click.

9. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

I use the Mighty Mouse, and it does have its pros and cons. I like the look of the design and (as long as you keep it clean) the scroll ball does work, and it's cool. I have had some trouble w/ my mac recognizing primary and secondary clicks. But, I still like it.

The Logitech on the other hand still looks cool and feels a lot better in your hand.

I think they are both great mouses, but the Logitech probably has the edge.

10. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Holy crap. You just found me my new notebook mouse! I was just thinking about what kind of wireless mouse (preferably Logitech) I should get. Thanks! And yeah, get the Logitech one. Mighty Mouse is irritating to use. Looks nice, but after actually using it over a period of time that flatness of it will kill your hand, especially after you've been using the awesome contouring that the Logitech mice have.

Also, that scroll wheel aka body part of a female (I'll let you figure that one out) is not fun (at least not in this situation).

11. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

I'll also say get the logi. I have both now and the mighty mouse while it looks nice, is a pain in the long run. My biggest complaints about the MM are the idiotic scroll wheel and is a pain to clean, and the non registering right clicks unless you take your hand off the mouse and click the far right corner.

12. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

So I went out and bought the VX Revolution today and after using the same Microsoft Optical Mouse for the past 5 years (which has actually been a very good mouse to me believe it or not) this thing is a dream. I don't even want to use it and ruin its perfect condition!

My only complaint (maybe I still haven't tweaked with enough settings yet) is that the scroll on it is pretty slow. Its like smooth scrolling is always on or something. I have to scroll a bit more before it takes off and starts moving down the page.

13. David G. macrumors 65816

You know right away an :apple: product sucks when no one here recommends it over something else.:p

14. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Wrong. The scrollball does "function" as a button if you press it.

You fail.

The Mighty Mouse is a great mouse in my opinion. But the Logitech Revolution VX is vastly better in almost every way, and you should keep the VX and return the Mighty Mouse, no question.

The only thing I miss from when using the Mighty Mouse is it's Bluetooth-ness and the scrollball (while it was working).

15. IanJames macrumors newbie

Logitech hands down

I've been extremely happy with both the VX and the MX, while using the MM at work can be very flaky ... Mainly lots of problems right-clicking and unexpected jumps all over the screen.

16. palmerized macrumors regular

I have the Revolution MX, the slightly larger version of the VX. I must say this is the best mouse I've ever used. I'm a designer, and pin-point accuracy is essential, and this is why I've typically stayed away from wireless mice. They were never very accurate. This also goes for the wireless bluetooth mice.

The MX (or VX) uses the small USB dongle and is incredibly accurate. It feels solid, and has awesome drivers for both Windows and Mac.

I want to buy a bunch of these and keep them aside in case this one breaks down... that's how much I love it.

IMO, this is a night and day decision. Go for the VX -- you'll never look back.

17. loudasthesun thread starter macrumors newbie

So true... hahaha

18. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

I've had the Bluetooth Mighty Mouse since it was released way back.. primarily because I didn't want to take up an extra USB port on my iMac..

The MM has had its faults and I'm on my 3rd replacement.

Also, it does drop connection on occasions, which leaves me to find a USB mouse, plug that in and then re-pair the MM... kinda defeating the object really..

Just last week I bought the MX Revolution and have the dongle plugged into my Alu Keyboard.. it's worked a treat.. had zero drop outs so far and feels better than the MM too.
    OK, i've had a few sleep issues detailed in this thread, but i'm ok with that now.

If you're after a decision, go with the Logitech.

Hope that helps.

19. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

In my opinion, Apple has no idea how to make a good mouse. Though I did just buy a wireless Mighty Mouse yesterday at BestBuy after getting fed up with BestBuy selling out of the hdd I wanted and then not even carrying the Logitech v470. I had a BestBuy gift card, so I thought what the heck. I've only been using the Mighty Mouse for less than a day, but I like it so far, just not as much as a Logitech mouse. The right-click deal with the Mighty Mouse is really annoying at times. What does Apple have against buttons?

And sorry for telling you my life story. I get a bit carried away. :D

20. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Return BOTH, and take that cash and buy an MX Revolution. (which will give you MORE "special / dashboard" features than MM itself.

Ditto the accuracy bit.

And as mentioned - (I've been beaten to) the MM "scroll ball" IS a "button" when pressed. Same goes for logitech. I own both - this is 1st hand.