Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
mighty mouse all the way, although wireless would be great. i hate logitech for one reason only - all their more advanced mice, like the mx1000, which i'd love, are AWFUL for most, if not all, left handed people. of which i'm one. and there are far more people i know that'd hop straight out and buy logitech's best offering IF they had a comfortable one.

bastards.

20rogersc

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2005
Brighton, UK
QCassidy352 said:
I tried a mighty mouse for the first time today... have to say, I was very disappointed. I found the scroll ball too small for comfort, the side buttons hard to push, and that the right click didn't work unless your finger was actually lifted off the left side of the mouse. :(
I too tried it for the first time a couple of days ago at the Regent Street store and was not impressed.

I found that the scroll ball to small and uncomfortable to use, and I kept on accidetly using the Exposé buttons. I feel a lot better with my one buttoned pro mouse which I hope will last for a while, considering Apple have pulled the wired ones off the shelves now. :(

::20ROGERSC::

Ino

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2005
I like the Mighty Mouse a lot!! ...but I have to admit I didn't think so the first couple days of using it.

I also use a MX1000 on my PC, and these are just two different animals altogether. I feel like I get a lot more programmability with the MX1000, but as ergonomically shaped as it may claim to be, I prefer a mouse that I don't have to specifically grip - such as the one-button or the Mighty Mouse.

It used to be tough deciding which to stick with ... more buttons or more comfort...and I feel that the Mighty Mouse is a good middle ground between the two.

I didn't think the scroll ball was so amazing at first. I could not get it to scroll enough, but later on figured out that the scroll ball scrolls in much smaller increments than on the typical scroll wheel. With a little practice, I started scrolling more smoothly and more precisely...and typical scroll wheels started to feel clunky. I still haven't got horizontal scrolling down quite yet...but I'm very happy :)

Oh, and hot corners are seeing less and less use after the Mighty Mouse...heh

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa
Been using mighty mouse for a week. Not good for gaming. Side buttons are so so for me. Others find them perfectly placed. Otherwise I'm very satisfied.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
True, it's not a good gaming mouse. But it is excellent for regular stuff where right clicking is a rarity.

kwikdeth

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Tempe, AZ
personally, i dont much care for mighty mouse. the texture consistency of the scroll ball drives me nuts, because it is the same type of surface as those annoying pencil eraser pointers in PC laptops.
also, the fact that you have to remove your finger from the left side before you can engage the right button is pretty annoying. as is the amount of pressure required to engage the side buttons. did they consult anyone who has studied carpal tunnel syndrome when designing that particular aspect?

and as far as a bluetooth version goes: don't hold your breath. unlike a keyboard, or regular mouse, which only has to be active when it is being used, mighty mouse works its magic through surface conduction, which requires a constant low-level electrical signal. you could have a bluetooth mighty mouse but you would either need to replace its batteries once a week or return it to a charger the moment you were done using it. either way, it would not be very convinient or useful in the long run.

pammyspyce

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2005
Bay Area, Calif
mrkgoo said:
You know what's absolutely peculiar? I have problem of always right-clicking by accident. It's strange, because it has been designed specifically to prevent that. The problem is I kind of hold the mouse at the back, with my middle finger resting on the right side. When I go to click with my index finger, I sort of press the mouse halfway up the body, which isn't far enough to get sensed by the left side, hence right click.

I must be the only person in the world with this problem.

OMG, I totally do that, too!! I'm always accidently right-clicking with my Mighty Mouse. It's my only complaint. I think it happens around 30% of the time that I try to left-click. Weird.

broken_keyboard

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Secret Moon base
I don't like it so much any more. You have to squeeze too hard, and the middle button should work without the whole unit having to go down.

Also you have to retrain your self to reliably make right clicks, which I don't think a lot of people with bother with. And the base of the unit is too grippy - it keeps picking up the mouse pad and moving it.

forumBuddy

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2005
Tried it at Apple store yesterday - didn’t like it. Scroll ball is ok - although gives you little feedback - I didn't know it was actually moving until I could see slide bar response.

I also wasn't impressed with squeeze buttons and I knew miss clicking the right click will eventually bother me.

I'll stick to my Intellimouse Optical: save money and have more features - like back/forward browse buttons, ergonomic shape, physical right click.

I can see Mighty Mouse working for the traditional Apple users though - and it looks mighty cool (pun intended) :)

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I bought it last week when I was in the city at my Apple dealer. He talked me into it. I like it. I find myself still going for "control-click" once in awhile however. I don't find any issues with right clicking when I want left click unless all my fingers are off the left side. I actually like the idea it works just like my one button mouse did when I am just clicking through things. The scroll ball is nice. I think they should just start to ship it with the new macs. Now I have a perfectly good Apple mouse sitting here. That is my biggest complaint. I hate wasting things.

Decker

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
I just got home and plugged in the Might Mouse and so far I'm loving it. It feels "right" to me. I have a Logitech MX1000 sitting on the bookshelf that I never use because after 10+ hours of working with it in a day my hand is too sore from hauling the weight of the mouse around. It's that heavy.

I always loved the simplicity and the weight of the Apple Pro Mouse but longed for extra buttons... with the Mighty Mouse I can now have my cake and eat it too!

Decker

yenko

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2005
SouthWest-USA
'Bout time says I. :D

I like it so much, I had to buy 2. :eek:

Need 3 more...heading.........out..........the..........door...........now. :D

jywv8

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
QCassidy352 said:
...the right click didn't work unless your finger was actually lifted off the left side of the mouse. :(

Yeah. I tried a few in an Apple Store, and I found the same thing...or something. All I know is that I couldn't consistently get it to right-click, which was a deal breaker for me.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
I'd advise against the Mighty Mouse.

A few minor things about the mouse...
1) Right click requires you to lift your left finger when clicking. Also, depending on how you hold your mouse, you might get mislicks. You'll probably get used to it, though, so it's not a biggie.
2) I don't know about other users, but I never use the sqeeze function or the scrollball button. I use screen corners, and since you're using a mouse anyways - screen corners are easier and (for me) faster. Personal preference, probably.
3) 360 scrollball, but it only does vertical and horizontal scrolling. So no diagonal scrolling.

If we ended here, everything else would be all right. If I had to rate it on a scale of 5, I'd give it a 3.5. Nothing revolutionary, but nifty, sleek, and the right click is useful once you get used to it. I like having a scrollball, too, because I read alot of online text.

However, there's two things that make me reconsider the Mighty Mouse more, as they are more of actual problems - not based on preference or getting used to things.

The first is more minor. Sometimes the button doesn't go down. It's happened now and then for me, and I don't know why, exactly. Maybe it jammed down. It's not really major, though, because I've fixed it just by picking the mouse up and setting it back down.

The second problem is a huge problem, and what is big enough to be a product defect. I don't know if it's an isolated incident of a bad batch of Mighty Mice, or if it randomly happens now and then, but the scroll wheel has problems. After some time, you might find that your Mighty Mouse will refuse to scroll. It's not a software problem, because I can feel the scrollball actually not giving the same tactile feedback as before. It might only allow you to scroll up, or scroll down. I don't know about left and right, because I almost never horizontally scroll. Several members on MR, myself included, have had this problem. I'm definately vexed by it, because my main reason for having a mouse is for the scrollball because I'm about as fast with a trackpad as with a mouse. With the scrollball messed up, I might as well toss the thing into the garbage. I have noticed, however, that the scrollball sometimes "clicks back" into place. I'm not sure about the anatomy of the Mighty Mouse, but there have been times that the scrollball gets set back to where it's supposed to be, and I feel the normal tactile feedback and the mouse works fine again.

With this durability/build quality problem, I'd give the Mighty Mouse 1 out of 5 stars, and that's pretty generous, and only because I like its glossy white sheen.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I bought a MM yesterday when I thought that my MX700 had died, and when I tried it in the store I thought that it would be OK. Well, when I actually tried it for a while I found that the scroll ball was difficult to use and in an awkward position for my hands; it actually made my finger and then my hand hurt after an hour or so of use. And I also found that you had to press slightly on the ball to get it to scoll, but it was too easy to press-click, which would make FireFox jump to another page. The right-click was not a problem for me; I found that I naturally lift my left finger when I right click anyway.

One more thing: the Apple advertising says that the left and right buttons are programmable on 10.3.9 and above, but I found that is not correct (I use Panther and have no desire for Tiger). So today I took it back to the store. 'Nuff said.

davey-nb

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
NORTH America
I find the scroll ball fantastic, it lets you zoom through long windows with total control. The best feature for me is that it scrolls through frames without having to highlight them first. It was always a drag using the arrow keys with frames because you had to click the frame first to activate it.
I do sometimes get a right click by mistake because I'm clicking too close to the middle. I can live with that for the great scrolling. :)

hanxu

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2004
I just bought my mighty mouse yesterday, and I love it, it's the best mouse ever, it just so comfortable.

although at first it is quick difficult to get used to the right click ;)

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
When I got my aunt her Mac Mini, I order a Mighty Mouse for her too. After using it for a few hours when setting up her computer, I must say I like it, but I feel it's almost too light weight!

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I bought a Mighty Mouse about 3 hours ago, and have been using it now for about an hour or so. I absolutely love the scrolling. It is by far the best scroll mouse I've used. Very precise when you just want to scroll a little bit, but plenty fast if you want to scroll a lot.

The feel of the mouse is great (I've always liked the shape and feel of Apple's recent mice). Right clicking works fine. I didn't even notice that you have to lift your left finger. I guess I do that with regular two button mice anyway for some reason.

I disabled the side button(s). They're FAR too easy to click. With the enable I was accidentally activating Exposé every couple seconds. If you lift the mouse off the mouse pad, the side buttons become much harder to click. This creates a strange problem. If you pick the mouse up, you'll be squeezing it hard enough on the sides (just to hold it) that when you put it back down you get an "automatic" side click as the pressure threshold switches back down right before the mouse hits the table. It may be a behavior that Apple can fix with a driver update, as it's definitely not a mechanical system making the pressure sensitivity change.

Anyway, overall, I'm very happy with it so far after a short time using it, but the side click is useless. I have hot corners set up for Exposé and Dashboard, so I don't care about the side click anyway.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I read about the drag-squeeze bug where the mouse forgets to click and tried it out. It's definitely a bug and a pretty serious one. I drag between applications using Exposé all the time, and it's impossible to do that using the Mighty Mouse side click buttons for Exposé. I'd like to file a bug report with Apple, but I couldn't find a support/feedback page for the Mighty Mouse. This is certainly something they can fix with a driver update, so hopefully they will.

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
Have had a Mighty Mouse and discovered all the problems myself, which are as everybody says.

I don't get the accidentally clicking side buttons (they're actually pretty stiff for me), but I do (and I must be the only perosn in the world) get accidental right clicks when I try to left click, but that's more related to how I hold the mouse.

The main problems I get are:

Click and dragging while tryin g to open expose can disable clicking for all devices (even trackpad), fixable only on relogin. Should be repairable by driver.

Sticking trackball - as Zoomzoomzoom stated, you feel a loss of tactile response, and the ball stops scrolling in a particular direction, which leads me to conclude that it's a hardware problem (although, the tactile feedback can easily be confused with the noise the speaker makes when scrolling - it really is that natural sounding/feeling!). I'm not sure, but I think I fixed it once by using a dampcloth, so teh issue may be dirt getting in (bad since getting inside to clean it is impossible). I'm not sure, so I may try again when it happens again.

Other than that, I have no issues. Diagonal scrolling exists, but only on certain software. No issues with the middle click, or the scrolling other than what I mentioned.

widgetguy

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2005
i don't own one but i sia down with one for hours at a friend house one day i prefer a good microsoft wireless mouse nothing beats that to me for ym workflow

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.