Mighty mouse won't click but will move curser

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macgrl, Jan 14, 2010.

1. macgrl macrumors 65816

My wireless mighty mouse just randomly stopped clicking. I had been using it as normal when I noticed that it would move around but not click. None of the buttons work. I have disconnected / reconnected etc and restarted my machine, changed the batteries but nothing.

Does anyone have any ideas.

Many thanks

2. cb31 macrumors member

Just started happening to me too. Nothing has changed as far as I can tell and it has been working for 4 months. It's not the mouse as my microsoft bluetooth mouse does exactly the same.

Keyboard is fine and mouse movement is fine, just clicking stops as does expose in the hot corners. I end up having to reboot to get it going.

Imac 21.5 inch, snow leopard, mighty mouse, all latest software revisions, permissions repaired.

Anyone seen this or have any ideas?

3. Chriss316 macrumors newbie

Could be damage to the wireless sensors if it got dropped or banged about in anyway or may have something to do with low battery power feeding a weaker signal to the receiver or dirt getting in between the contacts of the buttons

4. obdave macrumors member

I have the same issue

It happens intermittently - I'll go weeks without it happening, and suddenly the mouse will no longer click. The cursor will still move on the screen but I can't click anything, the ball doesn't work, squeezing it doesn't bring up Exposé, etc. I'll plug in a wired mouse and use that for awhile and within a few minutes the Mighty Mouse is back as if nothing ever happened. It's probably happened 5 or 10 times at least.

This most recent time I had just changed the batteries a couple days ago. I kinda doubt it's a hardware issue. Smells like software to me...

5. obdave macrumors member

Just happened again! I have to use a USB mouse right now, waiting for the Mighty Mouse to recognize clicks.

6. dgalvan123 macrumors 6502a

same problem here. Wireless mighty mouse cursor movement works fine, but it won't recognize clicks. Using a wired mighty mouse instead and it works fine. The wireless mighty mouse worked fine for over a year before it started acting up. Makes me think it is dust that has accumulated on the click contacts? But it does not look like the mouse is easy to open and clean. . .