Mighty Mouse Wont Scroll Down :(

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Rookie1986, May 9, 2010.

1. Rookie1986 macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

This is the second Mighty Mouse that I have had this happen on, I've tried the usual use a piece of paper and run it around the edge, tip it upside down and scroll the ball about and I've even tried using a can of compressed air but both of my Mighty Mouses still wont scroll down. Obviously I don't want to have to shell out again for another of these far inferior mouses so I was wanting to know if anyone know how I could fix it or get Apple to send me a new one??

Thanks,
    /Steve

2. lordofuo macrumors regular

Just shell out some cash one last time, but get a Magic Mouse instead.

Problem solved. :cool:

Alex :apple:

3. Rookie1986 thread starter macrumors 6502

:O Your joking right, their £56 lol!!! I could get myself another Razer Death Adder for that type of money and at least I know it will last....

4. lordofuo macrumors regular

But that's not shiny and made by Apple. :rolleyes:

Alex :apple:

5. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

Ya, it's broken. In the office where I work, I'd say half the mighty mice (mouses?) have a broken scroll nipple.

Just get a Razer, Logitech or Microsoft mouse, they're superior to Apple's offerings and are much cheaper.
    I've had my Logitech MX 518 for almost 6 years and it still works perfectly.

6. Rookie1986 thread starter macrumors 6502

I will just sit tight with no scroll wheel for now then and invest in the Razer Mac edition DeathAdder when I get paid at the end of the month, thanks for the replies guys,

Also on a side not from time-to-time my mouses left and right click buttons stop working the way they should and instead bring up the dashboard, It happens when only clicking one button not both, does it sound like something might be jamming inside or is it a software bug?? If anyone could help with this it would be much appreciated as its damn annoying to say the least!

7. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

That's just the mighty mouse in action, they all tend to do that. If you click too near to the scroll nipple it triggers the dashboard button (you can turn it off in system preferences)

8. Jaemz macrumors newbie

'THE' solution to end the Mighty Mouse nipple malfunction

You can clean the darned thing WITHOUT having to take the entire thing apart. I JUST found out how to do it. After several days of pulling my hair out, this is what I just found:

Get a little piece of cloth that has a little traction and absorbs oil well... I used a piece of graphite smudging cloth that artists use to smear the graphite. You can get this at any local art store OR you can use the little cloths that comes with a pair of glasses when you go to the optometrist or eyeglass retailer. Turn the MM off and rub the heck....I mean the heck out of the nipple in all directions. Voila! Your problem is solved. You'll actually see some dirt (whatever you wanna call it) on the cloth, too.

Don't go out and buy the Magic Mouse unless you want to. I was about to, but decided to give the Mighty Mouse one more go around and did research like crazy with all sorts of crazy ideas from people... none of them worked!!! and I'm not gonna take the darned thing apart! Try what I just posted. Man, it works!!!!!

9. MartiNZ macrumors 65816

MartiNZ

I've managed to keep mine clean for a good while, and I prefer the mighty to the magic because I have control over when I want to scroll, rather than it just happening at almost any slight touch. Seems like no one sells the wireless mighty anymore though .. else I might invest in another for longevity - I also prefer the shape and the possibility of middle button.

10. stev3n macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Whenever my Mighty Mouse stops scrolling in a particular direction, I turn it off and run the scroll ball on a piece of paper. I am kind of rough when I do it but it seems to always work.

11. -SD- macrumors 6502

It's just the nature of the flawed design of the Mighty Mouse. No matter what you do, that ball will eventually stop working. I went through at least 4 of the wireless versions.

I'd suggest trying the Magic Trackpad as it really is awesome, or getting a mouse from another company.

:apple:

12. John T macrumors 68020

John T

There's nothing wrong with the Mighty Mouse - providing you look after it! A few drops of acetone type cleaning fluid applied to the ball, then rub the ball in all directions on a clean piece of paper should do the trick. Apple recommend using water.

13. CodeGuru macrumors newbie

Mighty Mouse scroll wheel fix

Just turn the mouse upside down and run the trackball around on your pants. Works every time.