Mighty Mouse?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Techguy172, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I'm thinking of getting the mighty mouse for my macbook (bluetooth) I tried it in the store and i liked it but i have heard of lot's of problems with it and wanted to know what you guy think.

2. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

There is a high probability of the scroll ball becoming unusable in the 1st year.

3. Techguy172 thread starter macrumors 68000

How come apple won't recall them or fix them?

4. BugHunter macrumors newbie

My scroll ball is unsuable (in the first year) despite various cleaning attempts.
    Just get a regular wireless mouse, you wont find the need for horizontal scrolling pops up that often.

5. pianoplayer1 macrumors 6502

pianoplayer1

I used to use a MM... now I use an old Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

My scroll wheel broke all the time, and the way to fix it is... dun dun dun duuuunnnn - Smash it on a surface, im serious..

Anyway - the MM isnt that bad at all i think.

6. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

7. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

They have a history of not wanting to admit to their problems...cough cough macbook pro yellow screen, iPod touch negative black effect (although they did give a firmware update...), etc.

8. splashtech macrumors regular

I have a bluetooth mighty mouse for exactly the same purpose the O/P describes, and I love it. I have only had it for a couple of months so possibly cant comment on the scrolling problems yet, but (touch wood) it is working fine.

I am very fussy about keeping it clean and nice though, I dont know what difference that might make.

All in all, I think its my favorite mouse. If only it had differently designed side buttons so that rather than squeezing it had two standard clicking buttons on either side, it would be perfect.

9. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

I use the BT Mighty Mouse as well. It's definitely not the best wireless mouse on the market, but its not the worst either. I can comment on the scroll ball not working that well after a few months -- for me, all it took was a little cleaning and TLC. Works great now!

Bottom line: it looks amazing with any Apple computer.

10. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

The wireless Migty Mouse is great, I had the wired one but hated the cord. Both have the "issue" of the scrolling thing. So to compare: iMac @ home is nearly a year old and let me say the mouse is on the verge of going to trash; on the other hand both of my MM (wired is used by my mom wireless by me) are in an excellent condition, reason: I take care of it!! My friend has his MM for over a year and the only difference is just of constant use (still works perfectly). Wash your hands if they are filthy, don't ever use any chemical (they loose sensitivity). Take care of it and you'll love it! Hope this helped.

-Victor

11. hsadear macrumors member

hsadear

i was in the same boat as you a few weeks ago. with all the negative wireless might mouse reports far out weighing the positives. i know that generally people who have positive experinces do not tend to post on this site, but it still pushed me away.

i ended up choosing the radtech bt550 and its a very nice mouse although the wheel button needs to be worn in.

i would highly recommend any radtech mouse

12. Techguy172 thread starter macrumors 68000

Boy this is really Hard. Some people like it others don't damn Scroll wheel. How hard is it to make a mouse? Does any one know who makes the mighty mouse.

13. splashtech macrumors regular

Er... isn't it Apple? If they get someone else to do it, I am not aware of it. But I might be wrong...

14. Techguy172 thread starter macrumors 68000

15. mag2001 macrumors 6502

You can get a better mouse for the price you will pay for the MM

16. Techguy172 thread starter macrumors 68000

I just ordered The Microsoft bluetooth mouse it was on sale at dell for $30.

17. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

The centre button has now stopped working on my mighty mouse, but apple won't take it back, claiming I need to clean it with a lint free cloth, when the problem is to do with the button, not the scroll ball...

I honestly think they just auto reply with "clean it with a lint free cloth" they refuse to take it back, also my serial number is apparently invalid too, it's only 9 months old....

18. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Well, what you need to do is head into the Genius Bar at a local Apple Store. Make an appointment, have them clean it, and if it doesn't work they should replace it.

Where did you buy the mouse originally?

19. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Bought the mouse with my iMac, over the phone with apple, nearest apple store is 60-70 miles away, don't really think I can justify traveling that far just for someone to treat me like an idiot.

Surely I can just take it to my local PC World (EDIT: just found out they're aren't an authorized reseller, they just sell macs :| ) and see if they'll send it back to apple for me? it's still 3 months in warranty...

The problem is obvious, you press the dashboard button and it just does a left click, yes, i've checked the settings and firmware updates, on 10.5.1 blah blah blah....

20. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

the mighty mouse is a decent mouse but the price is just too high.
    I'd recommend getting another wireless mouse also.

21. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Believe me, I know exactly what you are going through. Don't quit fighting. The mouse is under warranty.

But, why don't you give cleaning a shot? Take the batteries out, flip the mouse scroll ball down, then move the ball left, right, up, and down on a lint-free cloth with a bit of Isopropyl alcohol on it. Wait 30 minutes before putting the batteries back in.

22. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I've cleaned, its not the scroll ball, its the actual button, finally managed to order a replacement, all sorted :D

23. je1ani macrumors 6502

I use a logitech Evolution and this thing is sick! I love the instant googling things and the dashboard, expose, spaces, and going back pages with easy clicks are AWESOME! only for $40!

24. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

I understand, I've gone through two broken scroll balls.

Both of which broke, I believe, as a result of me cleaning it. :cool:

25. dazed macrumors 6502a

being new to mac, i at first wanted to try all thing apple. so i bought a wired MM. its a terrible mouse, i quickly changed back to my logitech.

Mine also had a wierd problem in that every now and then it would send the mouse pointer flying into the bottom left corner of the screen.

If you get one make sure they have a good return policy just incase.....