Mighty Notes - Powerful Note-Taking App for iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by milkcowbluesStu, Nov 21, 2011.

1. milkcowbluesStu, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2012

milkcowbluesStu macrumors newbie

milkcowbluesStu

Mighty Notes turns your iPad into a powerful yet intuitively easy to use note-taking device. You can combine smooth handwriting with fast keyboard typing, import pictures and PDF files to annotate on, and export your notes to other apps or Dropbox. A built-in pasteboard that holds multiple drawn objects and text clips makes it a snap to reuse your work and improve productivity. Plus tons of other powerful features, all packaged into a clean and friendly interface.

Note-taking
    * Smooth handwriting with customizable width and color
    * Keyboard typing with customizable font and color
    * Zoom view to easily write small fonts with perfect details
    * Pasteboard holds up to 50 drawn objects and text clips to be quickly reused. Items are persistent even after you exit the app.
    * Everything can be repositioned and resized
    * Palm guard to rest your wrist against when writing
    * Record up to 30 minutes of audio for each note
    * Unlimited undo and redo for every action
    * Unlimited pages for each note
    * More than 20 backgrounds to choose from
    * Configurable auto-saving

Import/Export
    * Import pictures and PDF files from your iPad album or the Mighty Notes document folder
    * Open pictures and PDF files directly from other apps
    * Export notes as PNG, JPEG or PDF to the Mighty Notes document folder or to other apps
    * Sync the Mighty Notes document folder with Dropbox
    * Email notes as PNG, JPEG or PDF
    * Print notes

Organization
    * Use tags to organize notes into logical groups
    * Sort notes by name, date or tags
    * Search notes by name and description

Available on the App Store http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mighty-notes/id477779556?ls=1&mt=8

Attached Files:

2. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

iOS Note-Taking apps is already a VERY over-crowded market.. Many top notch well-established apps out there - Noteshelf HD, Notability, etc.

Best of luck to you though.

3. palpatine macrumors 68040

looks interesting. i'm still on the lookoutfor an uber notetaiking app. so far, i have found it best to use several apps, each according to their strengths. i'll give this a try!

by the way:
    because classes, lectures, meetings, etc. usally last longer than thirty minutes, you might want to consider doubling the recording time for each note.

4. milkcowbluesStu thread starter macrumors newbie

milkcowbluesStu

palpatine - thanks for the tip about recording time, which makes a lot of sense. I'll add that to my to-do list.

hitekalex - thanks for the good wishes :)

5. Onemorerun macrumors member

Recently, in a moment of weakness, I wrote a slight rant about note taking apps on the iPad.

So, I was happy to try out your app. I like the idea of the functions focused on in this app. For example the copy and paste of writing works well. I also applaud allowing typed text. Not that I type, but I like to copy text from webpages into my notes.

That being said, and on the IPAD 1, the writing was choppy. Also, when I pasted text from a webpage into a note and tried to resize it was choppy also. In general the functions seemed to be running slow on the Ipad 1.

----------

Also, I personally wouldn't focus on PDF rendering and annotating too much. With multitasking I personally like my note taking app and PDF reader seperate.

I would focus just on the core of what you think a note taking app should be. Look at Penultimate, it does almost nothing, but it is very popular.

6. milkcowbluesStu thread starter macrumors newbie

milkcowbluesStu

Onemorerun, thanks for the feedback! We did a lot of performance optimization and it worked relatively well on our testing iPad1. Hmm... maybe there's more room for improvement. May I suggest that you try rebooting your iPad or close down a few apps to see if that helps out. Meanwhile I'll look for more ways to optimize performance.

If you don't mind, would you give me a link to your aforementioned "slight rant"? I may learn a thing or two. :)

7. Onemorerun macrumors member

8. milkcowbluesStu thread starter macrumors newbie

milkcowbluesStu

Interesting read, Onemorerun. I agree that good ink should be #1. Tried your recommendations and they are pretty impressive in this department. I think I've figured out a way to apply some of that goodness to Mighty Notes. Will work toward an ink engine overhaul in the next major update.

The other thing I don't have in your core function list - reorder pages. Good point. I've added it to my to-do list.

9. milkcowbluesStu thread starter macrumors newbie

milkcowbluesStu

Mighty Notes 2.0 is out! Based on customer feedback, we completely revamped the hand-writing engine, resulting in a much smoother and more satisfying writing experience!

We now also offer a free lite version for people to try out the app. The lite version is fully featured, with a limit of creating 10 notes.

10. milkcowbluesStu thread starter macrumors newbie

milkcowbluesStu

In Mighty Notes V2.1:

- Enhanced pasteboard management functions: delete individual items, re-order, clear all
    - Increased maximum recording time to 2 hours

11. chilady1 macrumors member

chilady1

Just curious - will this app work on both the iPad and Mac? I require a note taking app on both devices with the ability to sync between the two. I typically have my iPad in meetings but also use my MBP for other items. Just curious and thanks for the answer. Looks promising.

12. milkcowbluesStu thread starter macrumors newbie

milkcowbluesStu

chilady1, sorry but it's iPad only for now. We may consider a Mac version if there's enough interest.

13. milkcowbluesStu thread starter macrumors newbie

milkcowbluesStu

In V2.3:

- Insert new image from the camera
    - User setting to disable scaling/cropping before inserting image
    - Export notes as images to the Camera Roll
    - Retina update for PDF import/export quality

----------

The full version is having a limited time sale - price drop from US$2.99 to $1.99 only! Get it while it lasts!!

14. wadjj macrumors regular

Considering notability's price, If you can't somehow outperforms it with killing features or outstanding ui, I don't think a lot of people would consider a more expensive app.