Migrate 2007 imac or start fresh with my new imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by i-Rich, Feb 14, 2013.

1. i-Rich macrumors member

Just wondering whether I should migrate my 2007 imac or start fesh with my new 2012 imac.

Most of my files are on an external drive so I would only have to reload my programs (Lightroom/photoshop + plugins etc)

Whilst it might take me a while to do all this I'm thinking I would end up with a more reliable system??

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It's good to start over if you can, and since all your critical stuff is safely stored, I'd say make a new start.

I used MA on my new 27" but I used Thunderbolt...I also moved almost everything over to my Pegasus R4 before i did it...You will also find that a lot of apps still need to be downloaded again if you use MA anyway....Just about all my games needed deletion and re-downloading, and a lot of other stuff too.

Start over and as you say, you should wind up with a better system without old legacy stuff coming across in the migration process.

3. gaddster macrumors member

Is there no way of partially migrating apps and plugins? I am in the same boat, 2010 21.5 and expecting my new 27' next week.

I was going to use time machine then delete the software/apps i no longer use.

Some of my FCPX plugins take ages to install.

NB however I did copy my documents, music, video folder on to an external hard drive incase i change my mind

4. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

If you've got a reliable system now, then moving it over to the new machine is not going to make it less reliable. I did a spot of cleanup on my mid 2007 and then hooked it up with an ethernet cable and used MA to move to the new one. Nice and easy, no problems. It took 2 or 3 hours because I have a large iTunes library, sounds like it will be quicker for you.