Migrate a Windows XP partition from an old PC to a Macbook Pro (with BootCamp)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macuser84, Sep 25, 2008.

1. macuser84 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I need your help on this one. I have an old Dell laptop with a Windows XP partition that I want to keep. Yesterday, I bought an new Macbook Pro to replace my old laptop and I want to import my Windows XP partition (with BootCamp) so I can use it on my new Mac. Is it possible to do so without having to reinstall Windows XP with the BootCamp assistant? If so, how can I accomplish that?

Thank you very much for your help :) !

2. cubedweller macrumors 6502

I wouldn't advise this. As a Windows user for many years I've come to the conclusion that if you're replacing more than say, 30%-40% of the hardware in your computer, Windows is best served by a fresh, clean install. This is especially true when replacing components such as the processor, main board, etc.

If you attempt to do this, most likely your Windows installation will simply not boot due to hardware misconfiguration -- best case scenario, you're Windows install will be buggy and unstable until you completely clear out all the old drivers.

Again, it *may* be possible but definitely not recommended.

Just my .02 ;)

~E

3. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

winclone worked fine for me.

I had too much stuff on bootcamp to start from scratch.

edit: ah you can use vmware to create a virtual machine. I thought you were trying to transfer bootcamp to bootcamp.

4. cubedweller macrumors 6502

If I'm not mistaken Winclone will let you clone a Windows installation to another hard drive meant to be used in that same system -- cloning it to a hard drive and then putting that hard drive into a separate system will present massive driver inconsistencies, unless I am missing something?

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You'd have to uninstall all drivers, utilities, plug-ins, etc. Then you can try to transfer the partition using Winclone. If your successful, you may have licensing issues with a lot of applications, not to mention a lot of hassle fixing the incompatible things.

You'll find reinstallation a lot smoother.

6. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

yea you might have problems with different hardware configs. I just replaced my hard drive with a larger capacity, so i had no problem cloning windows problem free.