Migrate all mail from GMail to MobileMe?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by exodar, Jul 14, 2008.

1. exodar macrumors newbie

I was curious if anyone knows if it is possible to migrate all of my historical email from my GMail account to MobileMe so I don't have to constantly login to GMail to do a historical search. Is it possible to use a desktop app as a conduit perhaps?

2. twynne macrumors 6502a

If you set up your Gmail and Mobileme accounts in Apple Mail, you appear to be able to drag/drop the messages from one to the other. I have no idea how well this performs with a high volume of messages, but with one message it worked fine just now.

3. thatinkjar macrumors member

I dragged and dropped about 10,000 e-mails from Googlemail to MobileMe over the weekend. It took a little while, but it worked flawlessly.

4. stomer macrumors 6502a

You can set up both gmail and mobile in mail.app and copy messages from one account to the other by dragging and dropping.

Another way is to retrieve your gmail messages via pop. You can set this up in mobileme's web preferences. You can configure this in gmail so that mobilme retrieves ALL of your mail instead of just the mail you receive after turning on pop retrieval.

Or, you can setup gmail to forward all your mail to mobileme. That way you'll have your mail both in gmail and in mobileme.

5. Advance The Man macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A345 Safari/525.20)

can you do this with yahoo mail?

6. matperk macrumors 6502

Only if pay for yahoo's pop/imap mail access. If you want to move over it might be worth it to pay for a month and move the mail.

7. bigbadneil macrumors 6502

bigbadneil

I want to d the opposite, i.e. move all my mobile me emails to gmail

8. 1999ncsu macrumors newbie

I used Google Email Uploader for Mac http://code.google.com/p/google-email-uploader-mac/when we migrated to Google Apps. But it only works for Google Apps accounts and not gmail.com.

Put both accounts in Mail.app, you can just drag and drop between them. MobileMe to Gmail or Gmail to Mobile Me.

9. bigbadneil macrumors 6502

bigbadneil

I saw something about google apps accounts but what is it???
    I thought for some reason it was for business accounts, but if not then I am more than happy to sign up for something that is worth while... How much is it and apart from helping me with the migration what else can it do for me???
    Thanks

10. 1999ncsu macrumors newbie

Google Apps are all most of the Google Products (gmail, cal, docs, sites) but customized for your domain. So instead of bigbadneil@gmail.com it would be bigbadneil@bigbadneil.com
    http://www.google.com/apps/
    I am in the process of add nearly all their products, like blogger, youtube, and voice. You may get in by default if you sign up now, but I am not sure.

They offer a couple of different versions.
    Free: Gmail still has the ads and there are some limitations.
    Schools: No ads in gmail and more advanced features, I am most familiar with this one. This is also free.
    Business: $50 per user per year. No ads and more features compared the the free version.

11. Lezz2 macrumors newbie

I migrated all my email from Gmail to MobileMe via IMAP via the select all and copy drag method.

MobileMe webmail and Mail.app on the Mac both show the correct email (sorted from new to old) but when I open the Mail.app on the iPhone the mail sorting is all over the place.

Anybody know if copying the mail via POP will work better / different?

12. TheOriginalKi macrumors 6502

Or you could login to Yahoo and change your Regional Site and Language to Yahoo! Aisa which will give you free pop3 access. That's what I did.

13. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Why anyone would go from google to mobileme is beyond me.

14. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68020

TroyBoy30

So how can I go the other way? I still haven't figured out how to get everything from my iPhone into gmail. It will sync new or changed cal and contacts but not existing content on the phone

15. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Exactly, that's like going from a Mercedes to a Hyundai.

16. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Until your Mercedes looses all your data. Then what? People like Gmail because it's FREE! People despise MobileMe because it costs MONEY! I am pretty sure if it was free, people wouldn't be bitching about it all the time. Pretty sure :)

MobileMe's interface is smooth and simple. Gmail, while free, is a little clunky. Yes, I use it regularly. It's still not as smooth as it can be.

17. thetexan macrumors 6502a

Just because one pays for MobileME doesn't mean they are guaranteed never to have a data loss.

18. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

I think as an overall package, Gmail knocks the socks off Mobile Me. And I'm excluding the fact that Apple charge.

The flip side to Me is the fact that you get 20gb of online storage for anything which is quite nice...

19. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

I've been using both Gmail and MobileMe's mail for quite some time. I can say with absolute certainty that MobileMe has been much more stable and consistent than Gmail (not to mention the latter is scanned by Google for advertising revenue). Aside from a few hiccups when it FIRST launched, MobileMe has been rock solid. Conversely, Gmail has had a good number of outages, and this latest problem with accounts being locked out is just another reason to be wary.

I use Gmail as my junk/non-critical e-mail service and MobileMe as my important personal e-mail account. I may take issue with the price of MobileMe (though one would be ignorant to pay the full $100/year for it), but that is likely to change very soon (if we are to believe the rumors).

I'll take MobileMe over Gmail any day, free or otherwise.

20. thetexan macrumors 6502a

Google charges $5 per year for 20GB of storage which thanks to Google Docs you can do pretty much anything with.

21. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

I wouldn't take MobileMe even if it was free (which it will be after tomorrow).

Gmail+Dropbox > MobileMe

22. Ratboy macrumors member

Since I pay for MobileMe, I figure I might as well use it as a backup for my Gmail account. Is it possible for the MobileMe webapp to retrieve all my Gmail messages? I added a POP account with all my correct Gmail information, but MobileMe doesn't even seem to retrieve new messages, never mind all the archived ones. I really don't want to do the whole drag-and-drop thing. Thanks.