Migrate assistent not working

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Madman12, May 5, 2012.

1. Madman12 macrumors newbie

Migration assistant
    Trying to migrate from an older Dell laptop, XP SP3, into a brand new MBP, Lion. The assistant on the PC won´t find the MBP. The MBP finds the PC, and comes up with the 6-digit number I´m supposed to find on the PC.
    I´ve tried a bunch of stuff; different network, firewalls/anti virus on/off, even tried cables instead of wireless. Anybody had success with this?
    Hans
    Norway

2. Kasalic macrumors regular

Have done a few XP to Mac OS X transfers using Migration Assistant and not had a problem. It can take a while for the Windows PC to detect the Apple.

3. Madman12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Kasalic
    You say it can take a while, can you estimate in minutes how long you have waited?
    Hans

4. Madman12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Kasalic, what´s your secret?
    It´s been running for almost an hour now.
    Hans

5. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Migration Assistant not working? What else is new?:mad:

6. Madman12 thread starter macrumors newbie

I found something in this article; https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3887922?start=0&tstart=0
    I turned wifi off on both machines. Connected them together with an ethernet cable. Stated migration assistant on both machines. The MBP comes up with the 6 digit code that´s supposed to show up on the PC. The PC keeps waiting for the MBP to show up.
    In the above article I referred to, he deleted some accounts. I don´t see any extra accounts on the MBP.
    It seems to me that this should work with just an ethernet cable hooking up the machines, no internett needed.
    Hans
    Norway

7. Madman12 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. syandra macrumors newbie

HELP! Using Migration Assistant to migrate files from PC to Mac

I just bought a Mac Mini and I tried using Migration Assistant to migrate all my file from PC to Mac Mini, I couldn't find the transferred files at first but reading through some forums later I found the file under Users Folder in Mac Mini. However, inside the Users Folder, there are 2 file - Syandra Kwan which is the administrator user account which the house icon and the other one is a folder named Shared.

So I went to System Preferences - Users & Groups, I only find Syandra Kwan account which is the admin account, but no other users listed.

I read though the instruction of how to set up Migration Assistant again and I'm still stuck!

HELP anyone...??:[