Migrate data only to new machine

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ya1950, Dec 5, 2013.

1. ya1950 macrumors regular

Is this possible? My old Macbook has undergone multiple OSX upgrades and I'd like to start over without transferring over old plist files and whatnot. I'm fine with reinstalling all my programs but I don't want to lose years of emails, calendars, address books, iTunes and iPhoto data. I have Time Machine backups and I'm synching everything except mail though iCloud. I'd appreciate help in doing this correctly.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Not possible. If you scroll down this page it shows what options you have when migrating. For example you can choose to not migrate over your Music folder if you like... but there is not the degree of control you are looking for.

3. phsphoenix macrumors member

What's wrong with just copying the visible folders in the home directory? That's what I do.

Edit: Oh, you said mail, calendars, contacts, etc... Umm... export via the app and import? I use GMail so everything's in the cloud for me. I just login and sync.

4. priitv8 macrumors 68020

All e-mails, calendars etc are also stored in each user's home folder, so moving this over to a new machine will take care of this. Even user settings and preferences get moved over.
    The simplest way would be to have admin account with different name from the one you intend to migrate.
    Then from that account you move user's home folder to your current system's /Users folder and create new user in Preferences with a matching user (short)name. When doing this, OS X will ask you whether you'd like to use the already existing folder with same shortname as this new user's home folder. You confirm with yes and off you go.

5. ya1950 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all your answers. @priitv8 If I understand you correctly I think that what you are suggesting will also transfer over old program preferences and junk from previous uninstalled stuff but I might not be understanding correctly.

Since asking I found this:

http://m.techradar.com/news/computing/apple/how-to-migrate-your-data-to-a-new-mac-1146617

The second page lists the directories for mail, contacts, and calendars, along with iTunes and iPhoto. I may give it a try. If I mess up I can always reinstall the OS and start over.

6. priitv8 macrumors 68020

That's correct! You will get the complete profile, including all the crap.
    To make a selective transfer, use Migration Assistant.
    [​IMG]

7. ya1950 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. That's the info I was looking for! So I can use Migration Assistant to transfer just data without the program and old preference files transferring as well? Never done this before that's why I'm asking.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think you are getting confused here. Like I explained in my first post, if you use Migration Assistant it will bring over old plists and junk etc and you are saying you don't want to do that.

I believe What priitv8 is suggesting is making a new (temp) user account then using Migration Assistant to bring in the old account along with all the data and old plists and junk that comes with it, then manually moving the old data over into the new account.

9. ya1950, Dec 7, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2013

ya1950 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh. Now I see. So if I clone the old drive, set up a user, and just transfer data from the old email folder, contact folder, etc then I'm basically doing the same thing?

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That would manually bring in the data you want while not bringing over old junk for the most part. Most of the junk users are trying to get rid of is not in the folders you mentioned. If is more commonly in preference folders and that sort of thing.

11. priitv8 macrumors 68020

12. ya1950 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys for your help. This has clarified things for me considerably. I'm going to read through the article priitv8 posted and then decide how to proceed. Meanwhile I'm cloning the drive just in case! Thanks!