Migrate email from Outlook 2007 to Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Rhodan, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Rhodan macrumors member

Hi,

The last step in migrating over to fully using my iMac is my email. It's on Outlook 2007, and I want to make use of Mail on Mac OS.

I've searched google, and found an Application called Outlook2Mac. Are there any other free alternatives out there? I dont see why I have to pay for something I'd use only once.

Thanks in advance

2. obdave macrumors member

Have you tried just importing your mailboxes directly? Within Mail, check out File>Import Mailboxes. One of the supported formats is Microsoft Entourage, which I think is the same as Outlook. There is no risk here, as the imported mailboxes get put into their old mailbox folder inside Mail. If the formatting is screwed up for the imported mailboxes, just delete the folder that was created and try something else.

3. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Not the same as outlook unfortunately, unless they changed that in 2k7, but when he says 2k7 I assume he means from PC.

I too did not want to pay for Outlook2Mac, especially after some reviews I read that said you might not get all your data anyways...

You might try installing Thunderbird on your PC, and see if Thunderbird can import all of your mail from outlook directly, which I think it can.

Then once you have all the stuff in Thunderbird, you can export it as, or just find the .mbox files, which thunderbird uses. It's pretty much the same thing Mail.app uses.

Then COPY those bad boys over to your mac and import them w/ Mail.app. You may have to rebuild the mailboxes after you import them, which if memory serves me correct is under the right click context menu if you just right click on a folder.

A while back I also found a method that utilized Eudora email to accomplish the same thing, but i prefer thunderbird.

I think it will all work. Good luck.

4. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Question, how do you have Outlook configured? If you have it setup as an IMAP client, then all you need to do is fire up Mail and create the account, and all your email should come in. IMAP stores all the email on the client (Outlook or Mail), as well as all the email on the server, so that you can start up any client program and get all your mail.

Alternatively, you can use the Test Drive version of Entourage, Microsoft's email client that comes with their Office suite, to make the Outlook mail compatible with Mail if you have Outlook setup as POP account (example:Comcast or Verizon are POP accounts). http://guides.macrumors.com/Moving_Email_from_PC_Outlook_to_Apple_Mail

5. FinanceGalSF macrumors newbie

FinanceGalSF

Migrate email from Outlook 2007 to Mail

The *.pst file that Outlook creates can only be read by Outlook, and in my case, it contains emails from accounts that have since been closed, so IMAP won't do it. The PC I had the accounts on crashed, hard, providing the opportunity to switch to a Mac. I can't use Outlook to export to AppleMail because I no longer own it. I have the backup file, though, so I bought Office for Mac 2008. Who would have guessed that Microsoft would launch Entourage without the ability to read .pst files? :mad: It just never occurred to me that two Microsoft email and contact software programs would be completely incompatible. Now they are promising to replace Entourage with Outlook in late 2010. So back to third party software - has anybody used Tech Hit or any of the others?

6. mrbash macrumors 6502

This is a tough one. Microsoft recently released the file format for PST files, so there is some hope that a tool will recover your messages in the future.

For now, the only thing you can do is run Outlook on a PC, import your PST file into Outlook then run something like Thunderbird to retrieve the messages from that instance of Outlook. Then you can import your messages to Mail.

7. haveaname macrumors newbie