Migrate from Fusion to Parallels?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by sfscott, Aug 31, 2011.

1. sfscott macrumors member

I have had Fusion for a while and seldom use it, but when I do, I find it slow, very unintuitive and a resource hog.

Reading Mossberg's review of Parallels 7, I got to wondering if (a) it is worth switching in y'all's opinion, and (b) can I do so without having to reinstall Windows. Is there a Parallels migration path/ap that will find and connect with Windows?

FWIW, I have Lion running and have Windows XP.

----------

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904716604576542530864428302.html?mod=djemptech_t

2. pizzafordinna macrumors member

Parallels 7 is not out yet. You would be buying Parallels 6, which in my opinion, is a great piece of software. It's very responsive and you can control how much resources it uses.

Are you running Windows XP through Boot Camp?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

AFAIK, there is no migration path, you'll have to reinstall all your apps/settings.

4. sfscott thread starter macrumors member

Per Mossberg, Parallels 7 drops tomorrow and has Lion support such as aps being able to be launched fromt the launchpad and mission control. It's available on the ApStore as a $50 upgrade/$80 new.

I'm not running Bootcamp. I had a question about that too in a separate thread below.

5. pizzafordinna macrumors member

hmm I dont see your question about bootcamp.

As far as my knowledge extends, you can't port anything from Fusion to Parallels