Migrate from TimeMachine?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MBX, Oct 18, 2008.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

Hey i was curious if migrating from TimeMachine (to a new mac) will restore everything, files, apps, system settings? Exactly the way it would when you'd do the migration from computer to computer?

Or does it only restore files but no system-settings or apps?

2. dubej macrumors newbie

My understanding was that the restored system would be identical to your last backup, system settings and all but I don't know that with absolute certainty.

3. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

I did exactly this from a backup of my older G5 to my newer iMac Alu. When i initally did it, About This Mac said that my iMac was a Power Mac G5 still. However, i did the backup from the installer disc, using disk utility.

I wonder if you already have a clean install on your new computer then use Migration Asst, if it would work then? I just gave up and did a clean install on my iMac.

4. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

Anyone else have an idea?

I'm stuck! :)

So does timemachine restore everything or not?

If not is there a way to clone all your system settings, user data, files and apps onto an empty drive and somehow migrate from it?

5. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

You could use Carbon Copy Cloner, to copy your Hard Drive, to another Hard Drive. This will create a duplicate image of all your stuff.

6. devman macrumors 65816

devman

I've installed a new machine using a time machine backup as the source for migration assistant.

It works great. Just be sure to check what you have set time machine to exclude from backups as those things won't be there (sounds obvious I know, but I fell for it at first).

7. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

cool. and thanks for reminding me for the excluded folders, would've probably forget about it ;)

so all installed well, all apps and system settings too?

8. devman macrumors 65816

devman

Yes. However, I did this back in June and I don't remember all the details. I have a .mac/mobileme account and I don't recall if that was involved in syncing any settings back or not. My recollection is that the TM backup also did all the settings for me and I didn't rely on mobileme.

9. cjstick macrumors newbie

migrate to G4

I have recently acquired a iBook G4 I would like to have some applications that are on my husband's MacBook (with the time machine backup on an external drive). Can I use this migration assistant to migrate these apps from his to mine (or can I only backup the whole deal) even though the G4 doesn't have time machine? or would I need to restore the G4 with his operating system disk before migrating (would restoring with his disk really make my G4 match his MacBook??!! )