Migrate iCloud Calendars to Outlook or PC

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by SB-MBP, May 1, 2017.

1. SB-MBP Suspended

SB-MBP

I have a few different calendars dating back to 2010 I'd like to move from iCloud to my new Windows PC on Outlook. Preferably, linking this to my Microsoft Account would be handy but I dont mind if it becomes a local existance on my PC hard drive.

Not sure how to export fully from iCloud without a Mac and how to get it into Outlook without just being a synced from iCloud sort of arrangement. I'd like it OFF iCloud and IN the hard drive, locally.

Is there a way to do this or will I have to pester a friend with a Mac to borrow it for this?

Thanks!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

3. campyguy macrumors 68040

As an alternative, if you're on Win 10, both the Mail & Calendar app and Outlook 2016 both read/write iCloud data nicely now - contacts, email, calendar, and notes. I live in Outlook 2016 but also sync to my iCloud account using the Mail & Calendar app and the People app too.

4. SB-MBP thread starter Suspended

SB-MBP

Right now I'm trying to see if Outlook can read/write my calendar, notes and contacts from iCloud. I just don't want that apple iCloud software on my computer to be honest. A manual way to configure it.

I have a university Exchange account of which I only want Mail to sync from, an old Hotmail account and my iCloud. That's it.

5. campyguy macrumors 68040

If it were me, I'd pass on using Outlook for synching to anything non-Exchange. Also, I've long held a belief that each app should be used for its strength, and stick to one platform type. To point, I've noticed that the "stock" Mail & Calendar app works with iCloud almost perfectly - even with notes; I use an older modded-Win Phone 10 ROM Lumia 640 - my iCloud data shows up on it almost immediately as well. I'm very happy with keeping my iCloud data synched through that app, while Outlook seems to be a bit slower; I'm of the opinion that Outlook works great with EAS/EWS/Exchange and the native app handles Gmail and iCloud data better - no Apple SW needed. If I were wanting to do what you're looking for, use Outlook for school stuff, and the stock Mail & Calendar for Hotmail and iCloud, but that's just me. Cheers!

On another note, I haven't been to NI since '97, hope to get back this or next year. You're in a lovely part of our world!

6. SB-MBP thread starter Suspended

SB-MBP

I've found myself since getting Windows 10 having all those native apps removed via PowerShell. To be honest, they're terrible IMO for a non touch screen as youre using a mouse pointed on huge, wasted-space touch orientated buttons :-( And they've over simplified it, cutting out some important details. In Apples defense, they keep what features 'prosumers' need at least. I get the impression Apple started with Outlook, and streamlined an advanced programme whereas Microsoft started with Apple's Mail and built a fresh programme based on what they saw without including the full fat featureset that lies under the hood of Apple's simple apps, leaving Windows 10 with a 'MEH' experience for us.

And yeah, it's quite nice here! Though everyone spends their money on cheap flights to Spain, makes me sick to think they're so oblivious to the scenery we have! Meh! NI is much more developed but still untouched enough to be a nice experience, I'd imagine very so for someone from the US as you guys have EVERYTHING there, this place where I live must feel unreal with how small and old and 'natural' it is..........in saying that.. I'm assuming the US has forests the size of NI so maybe I'm wrong haha

7. campyguy macrumors 68040

Agreed with your assessment of the new Windows interface, about 1/2 of my employees are on Windows and they're not fond of the "Metroifed" interface, although most of us are just used to diving into the applications and not living in the OS, both macOS or Windows; some of our CAD-related apps aren't certified for Win 7 any longer so it was time to move on. I use a Win workstation and also have a Win VM on my main Mac, and I'll be honest in that I really don't recall the last time I actually touched the mouse/trackpad except when working in a CAD/CAM app - let the Windows keyboard key be your friend! I use that key and keyboard shortcuts for almost everything, but I also learned to use the "Alt" key with menu shortcuts back in the 90s so that's (really) old hat for me. :oops:

I'll admit that I wish for a nicer interface with Windows and an updated metaphor with macOS. At least MS is updating their core usable apps regularly. God Mode first, then PS to ditch all of the crap - the only way to fly on Windows!

As to me and traveling, my late stepfather dragged me to Canada for our 1976 Bicentennial. I was pissed, being a teenager and full of hormones. But, we went some places I never would have been in that country, and I've been back so many times I can't count them anymore. When - not if - you have to spend time in the group of parks that is Yoho/Banff/Jasper/Kootenay National Parks in both BC and AB, and they're bordered by about 10 Provincial parks, you'll never forget it. As to here in the PNW, yes there are huge swaths of forested land and plenty of beauty that I still haven't had time to explore in my 35-odd years of living here but I'd also sell that there is plenty of beauty in every state (yes, even in NJ!). I read The Guardian pretty much every day, they've got a small team embedded here in the PNW. You must not miss traveling in North America!

As to my last time in NI I made a bit of a miscalculation on one of my short day trips, traveling from Belfast to Bushmills, I forgot to check for events and got to Ballycastle (a place I'm considering my retirement destination) right in the middle of the Auld Lammas Fair. Ugh. I cut my planned stay in Ballycastle to about 6 hours due to the crowds - I won't make that mistake again. It was like traveling across France during the TdF, a bit of a nightmare to say the least about the crowds! Cheers!