Migrate iTunes library and info

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by lg251, Nov 6, 2013.

1. lg251 macrumors 6502

A friend of mine bought my old MBP (2009) now running Mavericks and wants to transfer his iTunes library from his PC to this Mac.

I know when I transfer from mac to mac, using migration assistant iTunes is basically a copy and paste, meaning when I plug my iPhone no need to setup as new phone because it's a new computer, etc...

Is this possible to do from PC to Mac? Both computers are alive and can be in the same room. Transferring over Wifi, will it transfer all the music, apps, etc and make iTunes on the mac ready to plug back his iPhone and not have to setup as new phone for example?

Thanks for the input,

2. Bruno09, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013

Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Yes, you can do that.

You need to transfer the WHOLE iTunes folder from the PC to the Mac.

You can do this via wifi, but I would prefer to do this via Ethernet, as iTunes folders are generally large ones.

Alternatively (this is what I would choose, for safety) you can copy the iTunes folder from the Mac to an external hard drive, then from the external to the Mac.
    This can't be done using an HFS hard drive, as Windows is unable to work with it. Use FAT32 or exFAT.

Warning : on the PC you need to check that the audio files are added to the iTunes Media folder when a song/video is added to the Library.
    See iTunes options / advanced preferences on the PC :

[​IMG]

If the "Copy files to iTunes Media…." tick box is not checked, you first need to consolidate the library.
    This will copy all the files to the iTunes Media folder.

Then, you can copy the whole iTunes folder from the PC to the Mac.

3. lg251 thread starter macrumors 6502

1. (Copy folder scenario) Ok and this will keep all the data that the iPhone and iPad need when you sync?
    2. (Copy folder scenario) iDevice backups are also in that folder?

3. For the ethernet solution, I open up Migration assistant and plug the 2 computers together and everything will transfer no hassle?

4. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

1. Yes : in the iTunes / iTunes Media folder you'll find a "Books" folder, and a "Mobile applications" folder (your iPhone and iPad apps).

2. No : I think they are in ~/Library/ApplicationSupport/MobileSync/Backup

Please wait for somebody else to confirm that.

3. I don't know if you would be able to transfer the iTunes folder ONLY via Migration Assistant.

Wait also to somebody else for this.

5. lg251 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you!

Ok will wait to see if someone can confirm you can sync music only (iTunes content) with migration assistant going from PC to Mac.