migrate itunes library from pc to mac w/o losing cover art

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by tkepongo, Aug 27, 2007.

1. tkepongo macrumors regular

tkepongo

i spent hours working on the coverflow for my itunes, and i'm about to pick up an imac soon. does anyone know if i would lose my cover art (and track info) if i migrate my itunes library to my mac? how would i do this?

2. CoconutChris macrumors newbie

3. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Another user here with the same issue.

I checked those threads out, but unfortunately it won't work for me, as all of my music files are stored on a network access disk.

Is there any other way to do this? I've spent many hours getting album artwork for all of my own MP3s as well as building custom dynamic playlists based on star ratings, etc.

I also have an iPhone that I would like to bring over to Mac but don't want to have to wipe and rebuild that as well.

Thanks

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

I don't see the point of all the discussion and links the blogs. Just copy the library over. That's it. If both computers are on the same network it is just drag and drop but if you can't connect them then move the files on a hard disk. Copy the entire iTunes folder over.

If that is to easy for you then a harder way is to export all the mp3 files, move the files to the other computer then import them all. The metadata is stored inside the files ID3 tag fields.

And do remember "rule number zero": Before you do anything at all, make a backup and place that backup far away in a safe place.

And to the person who was worried about reformatiing his iPod.... iPods will re-sync when eer yu plug them in to the computer. Wiping out the disk on an iPod is not a big deal.