Migrate iTunes library from Windows XP To MacBoo Pro.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ofiaich, Aug 7, 2010.

1. ofiaich macrumors member

ofiaich

Hi everyone,

I have searched and will search more.

I want to transfer my iTunes library from my PC to my MacBook Pro, and then set up my iPod Touch for the MackBook.

Most of the library is on a USB 1 terabyte drive. I am tempted to plug the USB drive into the MacBook and just copy my music directory over. Then make sure the path is set correctly on the MacBook's iTunes.

Is there a better way? I am wondering if this method will cause problems.

After I have transferred the library, I will deactivate my Windows XP pc in iTunes.

Any advice appreciated.:D

Ofiaich ;)

2. mangrove macrumors 6502

I asked some of the same questions today in a thread about SSD read/write speeds. Check it out.

I found tons of opinions, but wanted real life experiences from those that actually did it and to hear if they would have done another way.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

There's an official Apple support document about this. I can't find the link right now. EDIT: This isn't it, but it's close.

I've done this a few times now and it generally works well. EDIT: I somehow ended up losing some of my protected iTunes purchases when I last did it, but that was from Mac to Mac.

B

4. tyche macrumors 6502

You can activate the new computer with your itunes account and then when you plug in it asks if you want to transfer your apps from the device to iTunes.

This is what did this morning.

5. ofiaich thread starter macrumors member

ofiaich

Thanks everyone!

So I can just transfer all via my iPod Touch! Sounds good!!

I will deactivate my Windows XP machine and then try that.

Ofiaich ;)

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Careful!

Only purchased songs/videos/apps will move over this way. The rest you will have to deal with some other way.

Your original approach also has the benefit of preserving playlists, ratings, etc... while that is not the case if you create a new library on the Mac and migrate items piecemeal.

This was the article I was remembering. FWIW http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/moving-your-itunes-library-to-a-new-hard-drive/ not official Apple.

B

7. Alfihar macrumors member

You shouldn't need to deactivate iTunes on your PC, as you can have up to 5 machines activated at any one time.

As I didn't care about play counts or playlists, I just copied all the media files and applications (.ipa fies) onto a memory stick. Activated iTunes on the other computer, then dragged the files into the new and empty iTunes library on the other computer.

I have copied the entire library in the past from one machine to another, though this was OSX to OSX.

8. ofiaich thread starter macrumors member

ofiaich

thanks again!

I will read the ilounge pages thoroughly, and then take my time to do!

Thanks everyone for your advice and help!

Ofiaich ;)

9. Redtruck18 macrumors newbie

When I did these last week from XP to my macbook pro it was as simple as putting my laptop hard drive in an external case, plugging that into my macbook pro, and opening all my songs via Itunes, which also transfered them to its own resident folder on the macbook pro. Pretty painless.

10. ofiaich thread starter macrumors member

ofiaich

thanks Redtruck18!

My iTunes library is on an external USB drive, so I will do your way today.

Only a few other songs on the XP machine's hard drive, so easy to copy them to the external drive first.

I want to copy the movies, and book that I purchased in iTunes too!

I can do that in the way that balamw said in his reply.

Ofiaich ;)

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Presuming the Windows box is still functional and the two machines can be networked, the Home Sharing functions of iTunes 9 can also be useful.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3819

I use Home Sharing to keep my MB's library synced with my MBP, and it works for all kind of media.

The disadvantage as opposed to the iLounge approach is that you do lose ratings and playcounts, if that matters to you.

B

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member