Migrate iTunes library to Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ian2211, Feb 20, 2011.

1. ian2211 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, after years of lusting, my wife finally relented and let me get my first Mac. A 27" core i5.
    I would like to move my iTunes library from my pc to the Mac. My music is on an external hdd and all my iPhone apps and backups and podcasts are on the pc hdd in the iTunes folder in my music.

I have searched the internet but the only solutions I have come across suggest opening iTunes’ preferences (Edit -> Preferences) and click the Advanced tab. Check both Keep iTunes Media Folder Organized and Copy Files To iTunes Media Folder When Adding To Library to move the music to iTunes folder. With over 500gb of music this does not seem like a good option.

I want to know if I can copy the iTunes folder to the Mac and then somehow get iTunes to find the music on my external hdd without having to manually edit the path to every song, and also preserve my iPhone apps and data and podcasts.

Any help will be really appreciated

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Here is a step by step procedure....http://lifehacker.com/#!242468/geek-to-live--how-to-move-an-itunes-library-from-a-pc-to-mac-and-back