Migrate iTunes Library to new Mac, but here's the twist...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RumMunkey, Oct 26, 2007.

1. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

Ok, I've seen this come up from time to time around here, and it gets somewhat answered, but not always clearly and the search function was no help.

I use a G4 now. I will be getting a new iMac probably next week. I have a very large iTunes library and cannot lose settings from the xml & library file. Here's the twist... my current Library is not in the default location. It's on the secondary (internal) drive I've named "Media".

Here's what I plan to do:

- Start up the new iMac.

- Connect my 2 Macs via Firewire, and boot the G4 into target mode.

- Open iTunes on the iMac, and go to "Preferences", "Advanced", and set "Copy files to iTunes music folder" and "Keep music folder organized" (two options I prefer and use now anyway).

- On the iMac, go to "File" then "Add to Library" and browse to (G4Mountedasadisk):Media:iTunes:iTunes Library", then let it go.

- Grab the xml file and the library file from the G4 (the default location.... whatever that is) and drop them in the default location on my new iMac.

See, here's where I'm lost. That won't work will it? The paths in the XML file will still all be based on the non-standard location of the files on the G4. It'll be looking for a secondary disk called "Media".

Or will the import somehow build a new xml file based on the data in my old one? No, I can't see that happening. iTunes doesn't care that I had a previous library.

Any suggestions here?

2. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

this is the way i did it from my old powerbook to my new(er) imac.

start itunes on the new mac then quit it once its opened properly. boot the old one in target disk mode and connect up. Replace the "iTunes music" folder with the old one and move the library accross.

the worst that can happen is it won't work and you just delete the preffs and folder contents and start again

3. RumMunkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

But, did that keep all your playlists and ratings and playcounts in tact?

4. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

If you hook up your old mac in target disk mode up to your new mac with a firewire cable and transfer files and setting from the old mac, everything should work just fine. I did that when I upgraded from a G4 iMac to a G5 and everything worked great.