Migrate my data from PC to Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dstdst123, Jul 9, 2011.

1. dstdst123 macrumors newbie

Hi

I am having the following:
    Laptop PC A: harddisk already reformatted as FATS, blank and can be used
    Laptop PC B: NTFS formatted with all updated data files I am currently using
    External hard drive Z: NTFS formatted, contains everything duplicates from PC B.

Now I am getting a new Macbook Pro.

1)
    In this case, how can I copy all my data from PC B to my Macbook Pro? Any easy method?

2)
    Can I copy directly from hard drive Z?

3)
    If I need to connect my Macbook Pro to a PC, which type of cable i need to use?

Thanks,
    dstdst123

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

3. Merks macrumors newbie

What I did was a long process... but it all worked out. My HP laptop's motherboard fried (this happened 2 weeks ago, so I'm a noob too)

And I had everything mostly on an external HDD already, but things within the past 3 months were on my HP laptop's hdd. So I went to amazon and bought one of those external casings for my laptop's hdd which cost about $5 on there, ($50 at Best Buy), and it didnt work at first because I had a password on my HP laptop, but after a little fidgeting with it... I got all my files and transferred via USB.

It took about 4 hours (about 80gb of files), but it ALL was transferred!

4. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

I'm no expert, so please don't quote me, but my understanding is that Macs can read NTFS drives but they can't write to them, so you should be able to copy directly. If the external HD is USB then that should be the only cable you need. I have no idea on the Mac-PC cable.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Make an ethernet network with a router, make your whole PC sharable and get your files through finder. Go wired though, much faster.

Copy them to an external hard drive, and copy them back to the mac. Either would work.

6. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Lion has a PC to mac transfer assistant. Wait for it. The general feeling on the boards is that it will be released on the 14th. Any new mac ordered from the apple online store will be preinstalled with Lion. The assistant will help you out.