Migrate, only to come back?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BlueGoldAce, Mar 18, 2014.

1. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

I am curious to hear other people's stories here.

I have been a bit addicted to phones since my first real smartphone (the HTC hero doesn't count) the HTC Evo. It was a great phone, and got me started loving phones.

I have had a ridiculous number of phones since then, and amongst them the last 3 iterations of the iPhone. I realized today that the i have always kept my iPhones the longest as well.

What spurred this post was the last three weeks i spent away from my iphone 5s. Typically, when I move from the iphone, I do until the next version of the iphone comes out. Honestly, the biggest factor for my move was boredom and the bigger screen sizes. I moved to a nexus 5...loved it, and though i missed imessages, it wasn't enough to bring me back. What was enough, was the poor camera and poor signal strength. i went through two of these phones, and it constantly had 2-3 bars less than my iPhone. I didn't get signal in my work place, and I didn't get signal in parts of my house...yet with my iphone I got 3-4 bars of LTE. Therefore, after two weeks, I gave up on it...and moved to a Nokia Lumnia 1520. Now that was a nice phone, a bit big...but it was nice, hardware wise. The nokia had the best signal, camera, screen, call quality, and speaker of any phone I have ever owned...without a doubt. It also had some novel features that were actually useful. What pulled me away from it? Windows phone....I mean I have always been fascinated by windows phone, but never gave it a try. I learned my lesson. Its a cohesive atmosphere, but it is severely limited on apps and the apps present lack features found in other platforms. My other grips with the platform should be remedied with the upcoming update. Honestly, I can't stress the app situation enough. For example I use tweetbot and the iwork suite a lot on my iphone and ipad (hence the small screen being a pain). There is no comparable twitter client on windows phone. The biggest disappointment was the Microsoft office integration. I thought this would seal the deal for me...but it did the opposite. The ability to edit and manipulate documents, spreadsheets, and powerpoints (for example, in powerpoint you can only edit text, you can't do anything with present images, not even move them) was limited compared to iwork. Also, google services is non-existant on windows phones, there are work arounds, but they are only half baked (HERE maps by nokia is great though, as is nokia mixradio).

As such, today I listed the nokia 1520 on swappa, and I have moved back to my iphone 5s, which I have had since a few days after launch. It honestly is a joy to use compared to other phones. That being said, android on the nexus 5 is VERY close...i mean very close. If you are a google user, its a dang good phone. If the phone had comparable camera and signal to the iphone....I might not be writing this article right now.

That being said, I will impatiently wait for a bigger screened iPhone. My goal is to get a phone that I will keep for two years, and I think that is the phone that can do it. If the iPhone has a bigger screen, it will be great...if not, maybe the next nexus will remedy its current problems, or maybe windows phone will finally catch up?

Anyway, I am just curious of other users experiences when migrating to another platform, only to return a few weeks or months later.

Best,

-Blue

2. 617aircav Suspended

I go back and forth. 3gs - nexus one - 4 - 4s - note 1- 4s -note 2 -5- htc one - 5s. I like android and IOS equally.

3. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

I don't migrate, I just go back n forth between my 5s and Note 3. I would get bored too easily if I just had one platform to play around in so I definitely understand your reasons for going back to the iPhone. Eventually though, you'll get bored again and the cycle will continue to repeat itself.

I would suggest being a dual user. You get the best of both worlds. Preferably Android phone/iOS tablet combo to start out.

4. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

I've had an iPhone since 2007. Starting 2010, I've been buying factory unlocked Android handsets to get a feel for the platform should I wish to migrate but to this day, my daily driver remains an iPhone. The iPhone just feels the most well rounded with good camera, nice display, good performance and decent battery life.

I've tried giving my parents Androids but it's just too confusing for them. iOS is just easier for them. I don't think I'll ever be able to make the switch to Android since now, the family's locked in to iMessage and FaceTime. My mom hates typing on her iPhone so she uses her iPad to text me. We use FaceTime Audio instead of voice calls so we can answer using any of our iOS devices.

That said, I do enjoy Android very much so I just carry multiple devices with me. :)

5. BlueGoldAce thread starter macrumors 68000

I was planning on having two phones when I got the nexus 5, but the signal strength didn't make it worth the cost. Same with the lumnia 1520, its drawbacks didn't make it worth it as well.

6. Altis macrumors 68020

I went from 3GS to Galaxy Nexus, then to 4S.

I found that Android was interesting and all, but the music set up was a lot less convenient, and certain flaws really killed it for me.

There's something about that iOS "feel" that made me feel right at home the moment I was back.

Although, to be honest, iOS 7 is certainly reason enough to at least consider what the alternatives are up to now...

Windows phone has more of an appeal to me. I don't use that many apps, so the lack of them probably wouldn't be too much of a problem for me. The next Surface will likely replace my aging iPad.

7. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

My experiences are very similar to the OP. I have migrated to the S3 and S4 in between Iphones. I was very happy to come back to the Iphone 5S. My wife has the Galaxy S4 and she seems okay with it. I switched for the bigger screen Galaxy, but when I think back to all the work arounds I needed for Android, it just wasn't worth it. Find me a phone like the HTC One with IOS on it and I will jump. I guess the Iphone 6 will be a huge seller.

8. theromz macrumors regular

My smartphone experience started with the iPhone 3G, I remember one day I'm sitting in a lecture and my friend shows me street fighter running on his phone and I was like, this right here, I must have it.

Loved the iPhone 3G and I upgraded too the Samsung Galaxy S, it had pretty awesome specs but Android apps where not good at the time, and the OS although feature rich was ugly. I went back to the 4S and long story short my little brother ****ed up 1 time too many so I cancelled his contract and took his S2. And I sort of remembered what I loved about Android. This point there was ICS and Android was actual starting to look good, I enjoyed how it worked a bit more and the bigger screen was a nice plus.

I hated Touchwiz so as soon as the Nexus 4 dropped I brought it and now I'm using a Nexus5. Personally I like Android more, might not be the most popular opinion on this forum thou haha. Just the small things for me, like background tasks, better sharing, design (Althought iOS7 has changed this).

iOS7 is a big leap forward for iOS, and parts of it are just amazing. I love how apps look on iOS7 and it is starting to pull me back. I fully intend on getting a iPhone6 come September. But who knows if I will stick with it. One thing is for sure, if the next Nexus phone is physically bigger I won't upgrade too it, I feel the Nexus 5 is the perfect size for me and anything bigger is just silly.

9. BlueGoldAce thread starter macrumors 68000

I agree with the size of the nexus...it is perfect. I loved everything about that phone...except signal, camera, and maybe the battery life (franco kernel fixes that).

Thats the thing...apple will do a 4.7 and 5.5 inch display, based on the rumor. of course it design dependent...but I hope they don't have a phone that is slightly too big and too small haha.

The nexus 6 will be on my radar as well.

10. sholzer macrumors regular

I went from 3g - 4- 5 - motox and I am ready to go back to iOS. Currently searching for a used 5s, but they're way more than I want to spend. Might end up settling on trading for a 5c until my upgrade is due (Sept). I'm hoping they will release the iPhone 6 before then and that it has a larger screen. I think the motox form factor is perfect in overall size and screen size (4.7")

11. co.ag.2005 macrumors 68000

co.ag.2005

give the 5c a try and then upgrade to the 6 when it comes out. I had the 5 and 5s and still prefer the 5c. It feels so great in hand.

12. theromz macrumors regular

I really want a 4.7" iPhone, given the size of the home button and the symmetric design I feel it would be the ideal size.

The Nexus 5 for me has been great, it was my first 4G phone (London) and signal is great, battery was a bit meh but I wiped my phone and has since doubled, the camera is good enough, the 4.2.2 update fixed the slow focusing. iPhones camera is better without a doubt but for day to day its enough.

I do feel the size is perfect, you get a good size screen and it just about fits in 1 hand, anything bigger just won't work for me and I'm feeling Google will move to 5.2" with the next version.

I am 99% sure I'm getting the iPhone 6, the only thing that would change my mind is if it is still 4".

13. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

You mention multiple times that you have an issue with signal strength and camera. What kind of problems are you having? I actually get better reception with my Nexus 5 than I do with my iPhone 5S and the camera takes fantastic photos.

As for battery, for some reason my iPhone 5S can barely make it through the workday and I have to have a Mophie Air case if I don't have access to a charger for the majority of the day.

14. sholzer macrumors regular

I've heard that a lot, might have to give it a shot

15. theromz macrumors regular

There is something to warm plastic that is rather inviting, the metal build of the iPhone 5/5s is amazing but it feel cold, clinical and machine like sometimes. When I pick up my rMBP and its cold too the touch it just doesn't feel as welcoming as my soft touch Nexus 5. The 5c has this going for it, and fun colours. Although I think the colours would cause me a problem and I would end up wanting all of them hehe.

16. BlueGoldAce thread starter macrumors 68000

Well I am with AT&T, and have great signal on my 5s and my wife's 5c. Typically we get 2-3 bars of LTE in our basement, and consistent 4+ lte around town.

With the two nexus 5s I tried out over the course of two weeks, I was consistently getting 2g or no signal in the basement, and dropping out of LTE around town. It was disappointing, but maybe it doesn't play well with AT&T? I even tried flashing older radios, right before I threw in the towel.

The camera was decent, with HDR+, if the thing you were taking a picture of was stationary. But for dogs, for example, it was a no go.

My 5s doesn't do phenomenal on the battery, either.

17. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I love my 5C and loved my 4S which I have kept as a WiFi device. Possibly the 5C is my last smartphone though, since I'm getting old enough not to travel outrageous thousands of miles every year - no more spontaneous trips to Chicago to hear someone rehearse the Brahms Requiem or something, as I used to do back in the day. I could get by with a dumb phone and a cellular iPad, probably.

I don't care for the size trend on smartphones, so if some non-Apple launch of a smaller phone catches my eye, I might finally go over the fence. See when the Apple ecosystem starts feeling like there actually IS a fence, I know I'm almost there...

18. Wide opeN macrumors 6502

Wide opeN

Go back to a dumb phone!? C'mon are you serious!?

Hopefully not.

19. Sugarcubes macrumors newbie

Sugarcubes

I had a 3G until the iOS 4 update came out and I lost faith in Apple. It was awful. So I got a Captivate... and then it broke a year later. Then I got an Atrix 2 and I liked it. But the Atrix got really slow... so I went to an iPhone 5.

Yep.

20. falkedup macrumors regular

3GS>Droid x>incredible>incredible 2>4S>5S with a backup lumia 822

other owned phones that didn't last long

htc trophy
    samsung fascinate
    sony xperia play

21. gooberq macrumors member

I switched to Note3 and came back to iphone last week,

Main Reasons:-
    Facetime
    Message (many friends are using iMessage
    Airplay
    Battery life

I miss in ios

Downloading files from browser. (Used Goodreader, but not as easy as clicking and downloading)
    File browser - May be there is some app (Can some one suggest?)
    Screen estate (hope ip6 solves this :) )
    i cant think of anything that i miss in ios.

22. BlueGoldAce thread starter macrumors 68000

Wasn't the note 3 great on battery life?

23. gooberq macrumors member

Yes, but i had good mobile and other apps installed and noticed less battery life compared to iphone.

May be its just me and i wanted to come back to iphone. :D

24. 869639 macrumors 6502

Once your in the apple ecosystem and actually utilize it...one will never find anything that is as simple and comparable....no matter what is out there....I for one will never leave because I enjoy the convenience it provides me.

Having just one account of iCloud all my notes, iWorks, contacts, emails, not to mention photo stream! all is available on all my devices without me ever doing anything extra....I just use the things normally and when i need it on another device....well its already there and I love that.

Apple has created the best bond between hardware and software that values on a spec sheet just aren't necessary to define a apple product. Its about the user experience and they have nailed it!

To those wondering about the spec sheet thing I mentioned....were in 2014 and the 5S is doing away with a 1560mAh battery...while others that compete against it are at 3000mAh+ and barely break a sweat past apple's test results.

I wish HTC would concentrate on quality as well, HTC ONE is a beautiful phone but it needs work to become better...not hardware wise, but software wise...HTC too can create a ecosystem of its own that utilizes simple things like an iCloud competitor....or even start going with Ubuntu EDGE! <---beautiful OS with endless possibilities.

25. I7guy macrumors G5

As I said in another thread I'm have my affinity for technological things new, however, phones isn't one of them.

I acquired the 5s in November and started out by hating IOS even more than I thought. I am now at a Zen like acceptance of the way IOS operates. Having said that I must admit, I got some really cool things on my phone, outside of the normal purview of crap apps that seems to accumulate.

At this time, not interested in other platforms. What I look for in a platform:
    - will it help me support, manage and grow my business
    - is it reliable, usable
    - what's the learning curve

First point is important and after a few months, I am still struggling with emails compared to my Blackberry.

However, after playing with android in the Verizon store I realize it's not for me, I can't wrap my brain around it. So it seems in the near future it's gonna be apple that get's my dollars.