Migrate photo's from Macbook to MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BoxerGT2.5, Jun 7, 2011.

1. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I have a 5yr old macbook and recently ordered a new MBP and the one thing that must be migrated over per my wife is the photos of the kids. What is the easiest way to do this? I could upload them to idisk and then import them to iPhoto when the new puter gets here correct?

2. simsaladimbamba

If you used iPhoto on the old Mac, just copy the iPhoto Library file from the old Mac to the new Mac and import the photos in iPhoto on the new Mac.
    No need for iDisk, you could connect the two Macs via Firewire ( Target Disk Mode ) or Ethernet to transfer files.

Btw, it is photos and not photo's.

3. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a

This will be much easier when Lion comes out. There's a new feature called airdrop where you can share files easily with any mac on the same wireless network.

4. BoxerGT2.5 thread starter macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Thank you! God forbid one of the 1700 photos goes missing.

5. MacsOnAnabolics macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

...or you could just use an external hard drive. If photos and those types of media are important to you and your wife, as they are to me, it might be time to invest in an external hard drive to back that data up to. From there you could just transfer the files over.

6. BoxerGT2.5, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011

BoxerGT2.5 thread starter macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Any recommendations that are pretty quick but don't break the bank?.

7. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

Or use the Migration Assistant and migrate everything.

8. MacsOnAnabolics macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

9. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

I used a external drive to move my 10K+ photos. Worked like a charm.

10. BoxerGT2.5 thread starter macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

About 1700, I believe 4GB's worth. That's all I really need it for, I really don't have any "work" on my computer per se.

11. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"...or you could just use an external hard drive. If photos and those types of media are important to you and your wife, as they are to me, it might be time to invest in an external hard drive to back that data up to. From there you could just transfer the files over."

MacsOnAnabolics has nailed it.

If your wife's photos currently reside ONLY on a single drive, they are in danger of being lost!

You need to BACK THEM UP, and do it soon.

A low-cost and VERY easy way to do that would be to do this:
    1. Buy one of these:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=usb+sata+dock&x=0&y=0
    (many items shown, all work the same way, pick one you like that is inexpensive and it will do the job)
    2. Get a "bare drive" from the vendor of your choice (I like newegg.com for good prices and fast service)
    3. Put the drive into the dock, connect it to the Mac, initialize the drive with Disk Utility (it will need to be initialized before you can work with it)

At this point there are two ways to go.

You can either "manually copy" the files you want (photos, etc.) to the docked drive, or...

Better yet, use CarbonCopyCloner (free) to create a "bootable clone" of the drive in the new MacBook. You will then have an exact copy of the internal drive, including the photos. And -- in an emergency -- you can boot from the docked drive, and "work on" your internal drive if need be.

ASIDE:
    If both MacBooks have firewire, set up the old one for firewire target disk mode, hook it to the new one, and use migration assistant to "get the new Mac where you want it" before you create the bootable clone.

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

13. BoxerGT2.5 thread starter macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Decided on the WD My Passport Studio. No special tricks to format?

14. snaky69 macrumors 603

Just plain old disk utility. Format to Mac OS X Extended Journaled and you're good to go.