Migrate printers to Lion

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by TheMaJa, Jul 25, 2011.

1. TheMaJa macrumors newbie

TheMaJa

I am planning to install Lion over my 10.6.8 system using the installer from the App Store. My question is: Will Lion keep and use my current printer configuration and drivers? At least one of my printers comes with a PowerPC installer, therefore I can't reinstall the printer after switching to Lion.

Many thanks for any help given.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Whenever you ask about a peripheral, you should give the manufacturer and model of the peripheral. Now to the point: Snow Leopard required new print drivers but [for me, at least] Snow Leopard printer drivers work with Lion.

If your old driver used a PPC installer, then you should perhaps search the manufacturer's website for a new driver. If the manufacturer no longer supports your printer, then you should check the Linux Foundation's OpenPrinting Project's website for a CUPS driver for your printer.

3. TheMaJa, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011

TheMaJa thread starter macrumors newbie

TheMaJa

Thanks for your reply, MisterMe. The printers in question are a Samsung ML-1610 and a Samsung CLP-550N. Both installers are PowerPC programs and not executable under Lion. I didn't find any newer Mac drivers at samsung.com. Lion (fresh installation on a test partition) offers a generic Postscript driver for the CLP-550N and is unable to find a driver for the ML-1610. Hence it would be good if Lion keeps the current drivers in the course of a Snow Leopard update (which was my initial question).

4. jenzjen macrumors 68000

While I don't know the answer first-hand, it seems like you've answered it yourself. If Lion doesn't support PowerPC, and your drivers are PowerPC based, I struggle to see how - even if they are preserved through the install - they will work natively.