Migrate RAID to larger drives...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by hayduke, Apr 2, 2009.

1. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

I'm about to configure my 2006 MP with one of Apple's RAID cards using RAID5. I currently have 4x 750GB drives that I can use, but I can see needing more space in the not too distant future. When I do need more space, can I simply drop in a 2TB drive, let the RAID system reconfigure itself, and repeat this until I have all 4 drives in place? Is there a better or different way to do this?

I know that if one of the drives is larger than the others, then only a drive space equivalent to the smaller drives will be used in RAID5. After addition of the fourth drive (per the above scheme), will the array then use the full 2TB of each drive?

Nanofrog to the rescue...

2. cmaier macrumors G3

I asked the same question and earlier someone told me that the method you describe works as long as you have the raid card.

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

Yes, it works :D, and is far easier than attempting to make a backup of the data, create the new array, and restore. ;)

You won't get the full 2TB/drive due to the parity data, and formating. In RAID 5:
    Array Capacity = Single Drive Capacity * (n-1), (n = number of drives)

So 6TB (pre formatted). :)

4. cmaier macrumors G3

Just too bad the RAID card is on back order - it will be 4-6 weeks before I can get by octa 2.93. Though i don't need it right now, so no loss. Now I'm just babbling.

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

I tend to prefer 3rd party cards, due to certain features such as an NVRAM implementation for the "write hole" issue in RAID 5 & 6, mulitple OS support, and multiple Boot support in some cases. ;)

The '09 MP makes it a little harder for internal arrays with 3rd party, though not impossible, if kept to small arrays. Say 8x 2.5" HDD's. ;) External isn't a problem, but rather expensive. :(

6. cmaier macrumors G3

I'm probably going to get an external enclosure and an add-in card, too. I sort of collect storage arrays :) (I have two infrant raid 5 arrays, and run raid 5 in my windows servers).

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

My issue is, I've so much crap already, I haven't the space for any more. So I'm sticking to internal ATM, as I do have a full tower case with some room left. Now if I can just keep it that way...;) :p

8. hayduke thread starter macrumors 65816

hayduke