Migrate Tiger to Leopard?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by will0407, Feb 10, 2009.

1. will0407 macrumors 6502a

Hi,
    My brother has a powerbook running tiger (10.4.11). he's just got a new macbook that has leopard pre-installed.

Is it possible to use the migrate utility on both machines to transfer all his data across from his Tiger powerbook to the leopard macbook? Or will we need to upgrade his tiger system to leopard then do the migration?

Any info is appreciated
    thanks

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Nope, Migration Assistant should get the job done.

3. Horst Guest

Migrating from PPC to Intel is not advisable ; look here .

4. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

Possibly just backup the PowerBook on a USB External Hard Drive (since the new MacBooks do not have FireWire) and then load it on the new MacBook via Migration Assistant?

5. p0mme macrumors newbie

p0mme

Oh dear :( I just did this.
    On starting up my new Intel 24" iMac for the first time, after playing the welcome video it asked if I wanted to use Migration Assistant.
    I had the contents of my old 20" G5 PPC iMac 10.4 [motherboard died] on an external harddrive, so connected the externalharddrive when it asked about migrating on setup.

It seemed to transfer everything ok, but at no point did it ask for the new discs that came with the iMac, which made me wonder if the new system would be missing something (so came on here to look for advice)
    Is that normal when you migrate?

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yes.