migrate Windows 7 OS to Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by powerhouse7, Sep 25, 2010.

1. powerhouse7 macrumors regular

Hi,
    I have a PC laptop running Windows 7 Professional that came pre-installed with no installation disk.

Is there some way I can migrate the OS to be used with my 27" imac via Bootcamp? As I said, the computer's OS came pre-installed and I don't want to have to buy another copy of Windows just for the install disk so I can use it with Bootcamp.

Any help is much appreciated!
    Thanks
    :apple:

2. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

You can download some Windows 7 ISOs from here.

http://techpp.com/2009/11/11/download-windows-7-iso-official-direct-download-links/

I've used them before when I wanted to erase my brother's HP laptop but didn't want to use thier recovery disc because I wanted to get rid of the crapware.

The only issue is that you have to activate Windows over the phone, as I had to. The key on your laptop will be legit expect that when activating online, it will fail but if you go for the 'activate over the phone' option, it will work.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Just to be clear. The OEM Windows software that shipped with your PC is not intended to be migrated/transferred/moved from that PC. You are outside the rights granted by the license and Microsoft has every right to say "no." They probably won't as Granny says.

The other point is that migrate/transfer means erase/retire/disable the other copy of the license on the original PC. (There can be only one, like Highlander). If not you will enter a realm of activation nightmares where MS may ultimately deactivate your key.

B

4. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

I salute you for that Highlander reference, sir. :)

5. powerhouse7 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I do understand that, and I intend to load a copy of XP that I've got onto the Laptop.