Migrated files from Powerbook and now I can't access them

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by greenfuzz00, Mar 20, 2011.

1. greenfuzz00 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I recently purchased a new MacBook Pro, an upgrade from my old Powerbook G4. I used migration assistant to transfer my documents, applications, photos, etc. I created the same username on my new machine as my old one, so when I transferred the files, migration assistant told me I had to select a different username for my old machine, which I did.

However, now I can not access the files from my old machine on my new MacBook Pro. I get a message that says, "You don't have permission to see its contents."

Should I have not used migration assistant to transfer the files? After doing some reading, some people recommend simply re-installing applications and not using migration assistant. Should I start over and erase everything and transfer the files using a different method?

Thanks for your help!

2. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

User name may be the same, but permissions are probably different.

3. greenfuzz00 thread starter macrumors newbie

DO you happen to know how I can unlock the folders that I migrated from the old Powerbook, if the permissions are different?

4. hayesk macrumors 65816

Did you do the migration after or during the install? If after, then what you did was make a second user, since you already made an account with the same username.

What I recommend if you haven't saved new data to your new mac yet: make a new admin user on the new machine, name it something different, like foo. Then log in as foo and delete the other users. Run the migration assistant again and migrate your users from your old Mac. Then log out of foo, and log into your old user and delete the foo username.

If you don't want to do that, go to the users folder and Get Info on the user folder from the old Mac. Unlock the panel and change the permissions to your new user and choose "Apply to enclosed items" from the little Gear menu.

5. sydenham, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2011

sydenham macrumors regular

Or try logging out and log in with your old user name, it should work.

6. klm0929 macrumors newbie

MacBook migration

I just got a new IMac (yes I knot the new one is coming out in about 2 weeks) Anyway, My problem was trying to upgrade and install new versions of programs.

I had to use the install dvd and boot from there and reset permissions from there. Then.... I had to delete skype and firefox and download again to install without a problem.

I think when you use migration assistant some "parts of the program are copied over, but somethings get left behind.

Next time... I'll go back to super duper instead.