Migrating a second account

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ian_E, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Ian_E macrumors newbie

Hi

Just picked up my very first imac today from the apple store

I've migrated my own account from my Pc to the new imac without a problem

But I also need to migrate my wife's account.

Can i run it from with my own account so it creates another ? or should i create her an account then migrate ?

Thanks for any advice

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Ask yourself did you and your wife use want to use the same account or did you use two different accounts on the Mac or on the old PC?

3. Ian_E thread starter macrumors newbie

Two different accounts on the pc, and wish to carry on using two different accounts in the mac

Just not sure wether i should create the account first then migrate the info to it, or let the wizard crete it ?

4. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Just use Migration Assistant without creating the user account first. If you create the account first then Migration Assistant will have to ask you what to do since you can't have 2 accounts with the same user name. Recommend a good backup, just in case you do not like the results.

5. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

First make sure you first in your Mac account transfers the information from YOUR account to you Mac account. Then boot the PC into her account, then have her log into it and use Migration Assistant to transfer her PC account info over.

6. Ian_E thread starter macrumors newbie

That sounds the right thing to do and what i was planing on, I'm just concerned whether it will create the new account or just copy the info to my existing account, I guess there is only one way to find out :)

7. Ian_E thread starter macrumors newbie

Done, created a new account and copied all the info across correctly, I keep forgetting I'm not using a windows machine, and expect everything to go wrong..

8. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I also urge as a newer Mac user use the book OS X El Captain: The Missing annual: David Pogue. It's a great book with a wonderful reference in the book fir quick lookups. David's Manual books are VERY informative in humorous manner that's easily understandable! IMHO it will make a well rounded Mac user!