Migrating all my files from MBP 15" to MB 13" without firewire...help

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jawad7, Feb 3, 2009.

1. jawad7 macrumors member

Hi - I've currently got one of the first gen MacBook Pro's 15" (2.16ghz, etc). I'm selling it to a friend due to me not really needing a 15" screen.

I've decided to get a new 2.4ghz MacBook 13". When I bought my MBP and switched it on for the first time it let me copy all my files using a firewire from my previous Powerbook G4. This worked amazingly and my new MBP was just how I left my PB - including stuff on the desktop! I think this is called Migration Assistant or something?

I'm aware that the MacBook doesn't have a firewire port - is there another way I can do this with USB or ethernet?

I also use a time machine for my backups and thought I could use this for my new machine but heard that it only copies files over and not programs so it's not as good as migration assistant.

Any advice/experience much appreciated.

2. gorleegor macrumors newbie

Yes you can with migration assistance using ethernet or wireless network. I just copied all my stuff from my white macbook to my new alum macbook. It will copy most of programs too.

3. jawad7 thread starter macrumors member

are you sure it's possible with an ethernet cable?

i just checked the apple support pages about migration assistant and all I can see is mentions of firewire.

4. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3322

It's a badly worded support article, but yes you can use an Ethernet cable. Faster than FireWire 400 too.

5. gorleegor macrumors newbie

6. shoppy macrumors 6502a

You can use ethernet, just do not use wireless takes forever. Or if you have leopard on your mac and an external HD. DO a time machine restore.

7. Randy06 macrumors newbie

How do you that exactly?

8. shoppy macrumors 6502a

If you have leopard make a time machine back up of your machine. Then on the macbook unibody insert your install disc and after accepting the license. Where you have the top bar go to the down the options and there is one for restore from time machine back up.