Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TexasChemE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
Hello all,

I posted earlier this week in regards to getting a new SSD and putting my original hard drive in the Optibay. I have question regarding migrating my information to my SSD. I had planned on doing a clean install of OS X Lion on the SSD and migrating my applications over there, keeping my documents, pictures, and music on my original hard drive. So I have a few questions about that.

1) How do I go about moving my applications to my SSD while keeping my documents and everything else on my original hard drive? Is it as easy as copying and pasting the information?

2) Would it be efficient to have OS X on both of my drives? Or should I (after I finish migrating) clone my current hard drive to an external device, reformat/erase the hard drive, restore the information that I want?

Nov 28, 2010
located
1. Migration Assistant / Setup Assistant information:

2. I have an SSD and the original HDD in my MBP, the HDD is partitioned with three partitions, one for the Mac OS X installer, one for cloning the SSD's contents to and one for data storage.
But I have my Home directory on my SSD, thus no need for the Home directory on the HDD.

TexasChemE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
1. Migration Assistant / Setup Assistant information:

2. I have an SSD and the original HDD in my MBP, the HDD is partitioned with three partitions, one for the Mac OS X installer, one for cloning the SSD's contents to and one for data storage.
But I have my Home directory on my SSD, thus no need for the Home directory on the HDD.

Thanks, I appreciate your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.