Migrating Between MacBook Pro 4s

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pastellist, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Pastellist macrumors newbie

My old MacBook Pro 4, 1 is updated to MacOS X Version 10.6.8, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 667 MHz and newer one is MacBook Pro Retina, late 2013, MacOS X Yosemite Version 10.10.2 2,4 GHz Intel Core i5, memory 4 GB.

I bought a Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter and thought I just had to connect the two and press "T" on my old machine to get everything transferred quickly to the newer one. Nothing happens. What am I doing wrong? My old machine's processor seems to be failing so I'm anxious to get this done. Thanks for any advice! Rita

2. John.Lynn macrumors newbie

Close..

For this to work, you have to restart the computer that you want to pull data from. In this case, your old computer. Press restart and then hold "t". The computer should boot with a Firewire logo on a gray screen, it will then show up on your new computer like an external hard drive and you can use Migration Assistant to transfer the data to the new machine.

3. Pastellist thread starter macrumors newbie

Migrating Between MacBook Pro4s

Thank you so much John! Once everything was transferred, it knocked me off my Airport Express & it took me awhile to figure out how to reconfigure and get back on, but now that I have, just want you to know how much I appreciated your help.