Migrating between two IMAP servers - mail.app Date Received problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nigelbb, Apr 10, 2015.

1. nigelbb macrumors 6502a

I want to change email providers. I have used imapsync to migrate all the messages from the old IMAP server to the new IMAP server. Unfortunately Mac Mail interprets the Date Received for each message as the file creation date on that message on the new server which of course for a mass migration is all the same date. I realise that in Mail I can sort on Date Sent instead which is in the email header but while this is a workaround on a Mac it doesn't help for Mail on an iPhone or iPad.

I do not have root access to the new IMAP server so cannot do anything about the actual file creation dates of the individual messages.

This appears to be an issue that has been around for years & years on mail.app so presumably Apple like it this way & aren't going to fix it as it's the same on iPhone/iPad Mail. However any suggestions for a fix or workaround would be gratefully received.

2. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I'm pretty sure, at least as of a couple of years ago, that this problem exists also in Outlook (any version) and any third-party tool I've ever tried.

I looked into it then. The only fix I even heard about involved some witchcraft involving Microsoft Visual Studio. Apparently someone wrote a method to batch open emails and change the date received to the date sent.