Migrating Bootcamp partition to new HDD while in Bootcamp.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macavoa, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Macavoa macrumors newbie

Ok, so I have a very odd problem here.

I recently replaced my old HDD with a new 1.5 TB HDD and at the same time installed a 1 TB HDD vie OWC Data Dubler with the intention of moving my Bootcamp partition to the 1 TB HDD. However at the time (now I know better) I did not know that in the 2011 15" MBP the Optical Drive port can not accept an SATA III HDD.

So I ended up just cloning and moving both OSX and Bootcamp onto the 1.5TB HDD.

OSX does not recognize the 1 TB SATA III HDD in the optical drive port (it just says "The Disk you inserted was not readable by this computer"), however when I am in Bootcamp I see the 1TB HDD and it functions perfectly.

First, does this seem normal and is this stable? And second, if this is normal and stable, is it possible for me to clone/migrate my bootcamp partition while in bootcamp to the 1TB HDD in the Optical drive port and then use that as my Bootcamp partition as I had originally intended?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Did you partition and format the new drive? Seeing that message isn't normal, imo.

To move a boot camp partition, you need winclone

3. Macavoa thread starter macrumors newbie

Initially when I first plugged the HDD in I was able to format it to MS-DOS (FAT) with the title BOOTCAMP, but after that it never let me format it again/modify it in any way, Disk Utility would just say "Could not mount disk1s1 with the name (null) after erase" and then stop formatting. But that is apparently due to the Optical Drive port not being able to support SATA III.

When I am in my Windows partition though, the HDD shows up just fine with the correct labeling and file format.