Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kuska

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Deep in The Weald, England
New Alu 2.8GHz iMac arrives very soon - very exciting:D

In the past, I've used firewire and the migrate assistant to move user setting, profiles, mail accounts etc etc and this has always been from PPC to PPC based machines.

I'll admit that I don't know if this is a valid question, but is there any particular information/data that needs to be updated manually or downloaded as a new universal/intel file in order to optimise performance on my new machine ? I dont want to bog the new Imac down with PPC optimised files.

I recognise that I may not even notice a performance issue but just want to keep the new machine as 'clean' as possible.

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
Don't migrate /Applications. Re-install universal versions of your apps and you should be fine.

Sherman Homan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2006
Ditto devman. After your transfer, you can look at the Activity Monitor to track down any stray PPC programs.

Kuska

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Be careful not to carry over any PPC contextual items plugins.

:confused:See now this is where I just don't currently have the knowledge or time - think I'll just carry out a clean install and just copy over mail accounts and safari bookmarks - may take longer but at least I'll know what I have and haven't got.

Thanks Macffooky you just made my decision extremely easy.:D

macffooky

macrumors regular
May 13, 2004
The 51st State
Kuska, have a look at this. I'm afraid I can't remember exactly how I migrated but I do remember checking this guide out beforehand. It still might be worth avoiding a complete reinstall :)

Kuska

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Kuska, have a look at this. I'm afraid I can't remember exactly how I migrated but I do remember checking this guide out beforehand. It still might be worth avoiding a complete reinstall :)

Thanks - read through the article and it's really explanatory - have a much better understanding now. Looking forward to getting the new intel setup.

Kuska

CrzyCanuck72

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
I used migration assistant to go from PPC -> Intel, and let it transfer everything (including apps), and had no problems. I just went and upgraded any PPC apps to Universal versions (if they existed) before I started running anything.

macftwin

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2007
I used migration assistant to go from PPC -> Intel, and let it transfer everything (including apps), and had no problems. I just went and upgraded any PPC apps to Universal versions (if they existed) before I started running anything.

Same here. I went from my Tibook to my MacbookPro and did the exact same and had no problems at all. As updates to certain programs etc (CS3 so on and so forth) became available I switched them out. You shouldn't have any sort of problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.