Migrating Data to a New Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rekhyt, Oct 10, 2013.

1. rekhyt macrumors 65816

I'm planning on buying the 2014 MacBook Air 11" (rumoured 12", apparently, but that's besides the point).

How would I go about and migrate my data to the new Mac? I have my stuff backed up using Time Machine.

Do I do a restore (it'll restore everything, but possibly have issues pertaining to drivers?) or Migration Assistant?

Last time I used Migration Assistant there were certain settings that were not migrated, which is why I am wary of using it.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

R.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Don't do the restore, like you mentioned, a new model like that will very likely have different drivers and you will have trouble. Migration Assistant always works well for me. Make sure you run it as part of system setup and not after you have already made account.

I have good luck with all my settings coming over. Do you recall what it was that did not transfer? Some things like app. serial numbers will need to be reentered because the app sees it is on a new machine.

3. rekhyt thread starter macrumors 65816

I can't remember what it was and all I remember is that it was quite frustrating. Possibly something to do with System Preferences or some window setting.

In general, it went fine, but it wasn't like a Time Machine restore.